Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2013-10-02 22:00:14

snesy

CaptureBoy - A capture device for the Gameboy

Hello everyone. I'm a new member of this board. I recognized that my other similar project (Gameboy2VGA) was mentioned here before and that's why I wanted to introduce my newest project.

It's called CaptureBoy and it drives the videosignal of the old Gameboy into a PC. The framerate is still poor and there is a big lag, but since I know the reason for it, it will be improved soon. Furthermore the software for the video output on the PC still needs some change. The project is only 3 days old and since I moved back to Germany after living in Japan for a longer time, I didn't have much time, so please don't blame me too much.

Here is a first video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvl2csqMEZo

Right now I'm using a FPGA board outside the Gameboy. I don't really think that there is enough interest to produce some custom boards after the project is finished, but you know better. ;-)

#2 2014-01-30 08:45:02

MrElephant

Re: CaptureBoy - A capture device for the Gameboy

Neat.  Can you actually save the ram or anything like that, or is it just a video projection on the computer screen right now.  You must have improved it by now, but even if you have not it is really really cool!

Working in Gameboy BASIC.

#3 2017-02-23 10:12:04

Heigw

Thats awesome!  A lot better than using an emulator for capture.  Something so satisfying about clicking the actual buttons smile

Edit: Sorry for the Necro-Bump.

Last edited by Heigw (2017-02-23 10:13:46)

I've just started coding in C for the gameboy.  Any help or tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

I am making a game that is an "Interactive Story."  If think you could help in any way or want to check on the progress here is the ROM and source-code.
Story Time... With Uncle Heigw: http://www.filedropper.com/story_2

#4 2017-11-22 03:59:05

DU0
Website

I'd like to see more of this. It's pretty cool.

#5 2018-03-03 10:59:01

skyblue

Show a project always is fun and great, but share thecnical info and help others to make it or understand it is even better.

In case someone is interested: I am working in a similar project with a maple mini clon (72mhz), capturing pixel data with two spi ports and sent it trought serial port (usb) to pc, also vsync and hsync data. In the PC side a I will have a C program reading from serial port all data, buffering (is like a homemade protocol) and showing it in a window with SDL. I think serial port speed should be enough to transfer all data to PC with a respectable frame rate.

If I finish it some day I will post in this forum all info and source code.

Regards

Board footer