Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2016-12-27 18:23:32

Imanolea
Website

Games aside #1: Super Game Boy development (step by step)

Hi everyone,

I recently posted a guide about developing for Super Game Boy. I hope you find it interesting:
http://imanoleasgames.blogspot.com/2016 … e-boy.html

Feel free to make any criticism about the post.

Regards,

Imanol

#2 2017-02-19 18:47:09

rychan
Website

Re: Games aside #1: Super Game Boy development (step by step)

I will learn ASM this year!!!

Also, any chance of some GBDK functionality and guides? I know, I'm being greedy here wink

#3 2017-02-20 07:35:09

Imanolea
Website

rychan: I'm glad to hear that. I'll be around here if there's anything I can help you with.

With these posts I try to bring something I have not seen previously posted anywhere, such as a Super Game Boy support guide or performance comparisons. The use of GBDK is often more frequently discussed than RGBDS, although I do not rule out teaching about GBDK if there was something I could contribute with.

Last edited by Imanolea (2017-02-20 07:35:39)

#4 2017-02-20 08:06:47

rychan
Website

I'm probably going to play with some NES stuff initially, just as a change from Gameboy Development. I'm still developing a few gameboy games this year though! I love that you've got the Super Gameboy Functions hooked up though, that's really great stuff!

I think the holy grail of Gameboy programming would be to do what the Space Invaders cart did, and include the binary for the SNES version inside the Super Gameboy Code. I can't imagine how that would be accomplished, short of compiling the snes rom then sending the byte codes over the SGB to the SNES. I believe that was the only gameboy cartridge to perform such a feat.

#5 2017-02-21 06:01:04

Imanolea
Website

As far as I can see what Space Invaders for Game Boy does is what you say: to send a DATA_TRN package and transmit to the console the binary code of the SNES game that it carries in the cartridge. In this case, I would say that it has more to do with SNES development than with Game Boy development.

Anyway, I think Donkey Kong 94' was a very good technical demo of the Super Game Boy's capabilities, although most of the developers of the time did not come to take full advantage of this cartridge. I think it would be great to see more support for this device in Game Boy developments. Personally, I will try to continue learning about it with my developments.

Last edited by Imanolea (2017-02-21 06:02:59)

#6 2017-02-21 10:46:31

rychan
Website

Cool, I'll have to grab a copy of Donkey Kong '94 soon then and have a play with it smile

Board footer