Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2018-03-13 08:02:22

PunkBunk

RGBDS Help *Newbie*

Hey guys, I was just trying to find a copy of assemble.bat and makelnk.bat from wichita state's old site.  I'm not able to check the site and the link appears to be broken, so if anyone has a copy of those batch files could you let me see them? Mainly just want to see the way it works.
Thanks in advance

#2 2018-03-14 06:56:10

ISSOtm
Website

Re: RGBDS Help *Newbie*

What do you need these for ?

The French Lord Of Laziness.
Legend of Zelda and Undertale fan, I also tend to break Pokémon R/B/Y a little too much.

Twitter | Me on GCL | Discord : ISSOtm#9015 | Skype : isso.tm (I don't login anymore)

#3 2018-03-14 15:51:27

PunkBunk

ISSOtm wrote:

What do you need these for ?

Mostly just curious what does what with the old 95 version of RGBDS files. I was trying to remember if the old version had different commands than newer versions or if they were relatively unchanged because I looked at it a long time ago and I'm missing documentation on the files. Figured bat files would be quicker and easier than asking for documentation on a version from a while back.

#4 2018-03-14 19:06:16

AntonioND
Website

It's quite different, specially the linker. The assembler is mostly the same. For the linker you have to generate a linker configuration file that specifies the object files to read, the libraries to link and the name of the ROM. This was quite obscure on Windows because the extension of the examples I found was *.lnk, which happens to be the same extension as shortcuts, and it was a pain to open it to edit as text (or even to realize it was text). I remember using it a few times and switching to the rgbds-linux fork as soon as I discovered it, because it was just easier to deal with. Specially if you want to use a Makefile, like in my case... It's a shame I lost all of this, I didn't use git back then so I just replaced my old build system by the new one.

#5 2018-03-15 20:56:11

PunkBunk

AntonioND wrote:

It's quite different, specially the linker. The assembler is mostly the same. For the linker you have to generate a linker configuration file that specifies the object files to read, the libraries to link and the name of the ROM. This was quite obscure on Windows because the extension of the examples I found was *.lnk, which happens to be the same extension as shortcuts, and it was a pain to open it to edit as text (or even to realize it was text). I remember using it a few times and switching to the rgbds-linux fork as soon as I discovered it, because it was just easier to deal with. Specially if you want to use a Makefile, like in my case... It's a shame I lost all of this, I didn't use git back then so I just replaced my old build system by the new one.

This is actually kind of why I was looking for it. It's interesting to see how much it's changed. I seem to remember the .lnk thing being a pain too. I wish I had kept up with my old files on it just for posterity and all that. Thanks for the info, though

#6 2018-05-07 04:06:02

nitro2k01
Administrator

I can't speak for Wichita State's files, but here's part of the code I use for initializing a new project for use with RGDBS 95.

Code:

copy ..\projtemplate\*.* .

echo. ..\rgbasm -o%1.obj  -i. -i../inc/ %1.asm >>m.bat
echo. ..\xlink95 -zff -m%1.map -n%1.sym %1.lnk >>m.bat
echo. ..\rgbfix -pff -v -m00 -b00 -t%UNAME% %1.gb >>m.bat

echo. [output]>%1.lnk
echo. %1.gb>>%1.lnk
echo. >>%1.lnk
echo. [objects]>>%1.lnk
echo. %1.obj>>%1.lnk

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"