Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2019-05-18 06:47:43

GuybrushThreepwood

[New Completed Game] Dots for GameBoy Color!

Hey all.

Recently I applied to work at the Dots game company. Their interview coding assignment was to recreate the original classic Dots game in the Unity game engine. Since I had no trouble doing that, I decided to go above-and-beyond, and developed their classic Dots game for GameBoy Color!

Since I had some previous experience making Fix-it-Felix Jr. for the GBC, I felt like it would be pretty easy to make Dots work on the hardware. Plus, I was eager to get back into some lower-level C coding.

Here's my write-up on the project, complete with pictures, videos, the source code, and ROM:

http://www.gmiller.net/2019/04/dots-for-gameboy-color/

I'm not selling these because I don't own the rights to Dots, but like I mentioned, there's a link to a zip with the GBDK source code and rom file on my site.

I do wish to use ASM to make a GameBoy game one day, but since this was a quick throw-away project, I just beast-moded it in C. I'm pretty used to dealing with GBDK and LCCs quirks, so while there was some glitchy unpredictable behavior during development, it's usually pretty easy to fix. Over all it took 3 full 8 hour days to make from 0 to complete.

Catskull games helped me get the flash carts with my custom rom, and I used the clear shells from hand-held legend.

Hope you guys enjoy!

- Greg

#2 2019-05-20 03:55:10

ISSOtm
Website

Re: [New Completed Game] Dots for GameBoy Color!

Nice speed coding!

The French Lord Of Laziness.
Legend of Zelda and Undertale fan, I also tend to break Pokémon R/B/Y a little too much.

Twitter | Me on GCL | Discord : ISSOtm#9015 | Skype : isso.tm (I don't login anymore)

#3 2019-05-20 12:40:57

gbjosh

Great job!

#4 2019-05-24 16:48:54

GuybrushThreepwood

Thanks guys!

Board footer