Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-05 19:17:34

kay_kidoutai

Cartridges with Rare Mappers

I've been building a GB/CGB cartridge dumper for the past couple months and I'm slowly adding support for all the known cart mappers. It seems like a huge majority of the games use a select few (MBC5, MBC3, MBC2, MBC1, no Mapper) and an extremely small handful of games use more esoteric ones. There are more than a few that only exist in one documented game.

As far as I know, custom silicon development and fabrication is extremely expensive and it seems weird to me that these mappers are only in a couple games. Can anyone expand on this list of games that uses the following mappers?

MBC6:
- One known game
-- Net de Get - Minigame @ 100 (JP)

MMM01:
- One known game
-- Momotarou Collection 2

TAMA5:
-- One known game
-- Game de Hakken!! Tamagotchi Osucchi to Mesucchi

MBC7:
- Two known games
-- Kirby's Tilt and Tumble US (AKA Koro Koro Kirby JP)
-- Command Master (JP)

HuC3:
-- Robot Poncots - Sun Version JP (AKA Robopon - Sun Version US)
-- Robot Poncots - Star Version JP
-- Robot Poncots - Moon Version JP
-- Pocket Family (JP)

HuC1:
- Seven known games
-- Pocket Bomber Man (JP)
-- GBKiss Mini Games (JP)
-- Pokemon Card GB (JP)
-- Super B-Daman - Fighting Phoenix (JP)
-- Nectaris GB (JP)
-- Daikaijuu Monogatari - The Miracle of the Zone (JP)
-- Chousoku Spinner (JP)

8MB ROM MBC5 (not really a mapper but still unique/interesting):
- Two known games
-- Kanji Shishuu JP (prototype)
-- Densha de Go! 2 JP

I got lots of these from Gekkio's hardware DB, and the rest I datamined out of archive.org ROM collections and a python script.
https://github.com/kaykidoutai/gbcater

All the ROMs I have catalogued so far
https://github.com/kaykidoutai/gbcater/ … _games.csv

#2 2023-04-06 06:08:41

nitro2k01
Administrator

Re: Cartridges with Rare Mappers

kay_kidoutai wrote:

As far as I know, custom silicon development and fabrication is extremely expensive and it seems weird to me that these mappers are only in a couple games. Can anyone expand on this list of games that uses the following mappers?

Not as extremely expensive as you might think. You might be thinking of the more glamorous leading edge technology of the industry, for example using EUV lithography to produce smaller feature sizes to take the latest big development. This kind of leading edge tech requires billions and billions of dollars in R&D to get to a working state at all. When those mapper chips were made in the 1990s they would have been using a stable trailing edge technology node. Basically 1980s/early 1990s technology at that point. It would definitely make sense for an expected run of a few hundred thousand up to a few million chips.

All of the examples implemented functionality that simply wasn't possible with a more common MBC, so a custom chip was the only practical solution.

MBC6: mapping additional flash memory.

MMM01: remapping bank 0 for multiple game collections.

TAMA5: Tamagotchi functionality that can run in the background without external power.

MBC7: Accessing an accelerometer for special gameplay features.

HuC1: From memory, IR functionality for communication. (Probably just really one digital IO pin that can control an IR LED, and one that can read an IR receiver.)

HuC3: From memory, IR functionality for communication and RTC.

8MB ROM MBC5: This is as far as I know present on all MBC5 chips, just that the extra address bit is not hooked up to anything, so it makes no practical difference.

One glaring omission from your list is the Gameboy Camera. While it was used in only one game it was significant, and it's obvious why it required a custom chip. For a GB cartridge dumper, it's also significant because it requires a clock signal on pin 2 of the cartridge bus (aka PHI) to be able access SRAM and the camera image. If you didn't add that to your hardware, you're SOL unless you add a mod wire. (Unlike anything else on the list which I think is just different special writes/reads.)

Another one is the  Nintendo Power cartridge which has a MegaChips MX15002 chip which provides multi ROM capability (again, remapping bank 0) as well as flash programming. It was am officially released flash cartridge that was used with special kiosks where you could buy games.

Then there are unofficially released games and flash cartridges. Flash cartridge released during the late 1990s and going forward to today often had multi ROM capability. Modern SD card based cartridge obviously use extra logic to access the SD card.

One other notable example of a custom "MBC" is the Wisdom Tree mapper which is using a single standard 74 series logic chip as a mapper. This has some limitations in that...
- Writes are done using the lower address bits (!) instead of data bits. This was required because the timings didn't work out with using the data bits.
- It can only swap the full 32 kB ROM space, ie, it permanently controls the upper address bits going to the ROM chip instead of having a "bank 0".
- It can start at any random bank, meaning the ROM header and some bootstrap code needs to be duplicated across all banks.

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"
Old Chinese Proverb

#3 2023-04-06 23:03:56

kay_kidoutai

You are correct, I was thinking of more modern silicon development. It did not occur to me that it was possible to do smaller runs of simpler chips like that.

I have read/write support working for the camera, but I got lucky with the clock pin. I didn't think about it ahead of time, but since I am bit-banging every single pin on the cartridge I was able to make it work. Dumping photos from the camera was actually the inspiration for this project. It just escaped my mind when I was making this list.

I actually didn't even know about the Nintendo Power cartridge, thank you for adding that here. I'll have to put up an eBay saved search to get one for a decent price so I can test with it.

I have a couple of unlicensed carts to test with, but most of them just seem to rip off the functionality of MBC1, 3, or 5. No Wisdom Tree ones unfortunately. The only interesting one I have is a Gowin game, which uses the TOUTOC vulnerability of the logo check to show the Gowin logo on boot up. I haven't found any info on how that mapper works yet so that will be a fun thing to reverse engineer.

#4 2023-04-07 00:24:41

kay_kidoutai

I guess I also forgot about the MBC30 in the JP copy of Pokemon Crystal and the MBC1M

#5 2023-04-10 07:59:17

nitro2k01
Administrator

I was just made aware of this link which may interest you.

https://b13rg.github.io/Gameboy-MBC-Analysis/

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"
Old Chinese Proverb

Board footer