Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2015-06-23 01:45:19

tadashibashi

Gameboy Music Visualizer

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and was seeking to find a solution for a musical performance involving a Gameboy. My end goal is to get some sort of visualizer that will read the GB music data live and spit it out like this visualizer for the NES called "NSFPlay - Synthesia" as seen in this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszzfEgyDUs

There are two ideas that I have - 1. I program something that receives music data from a GBS player on the computer, video record it, then sync the live GB with the video, or 2. find some way to get this serial data directly from the GB, program the visualizer and then just have it perform live. Would either of these ideas be possible, and if so how would you go about doing it?

I'm an inexperienced programmer, and am only familiar with Processing language, and I use a MAC, though I am willing to learn something new, though I am willing to pay someone if necessary. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice in this! It is for my senior undergraduate composition recital in November! I'll make sure to post recordings smile

#2 2015-06-24 16:02:33

Xephyr

Re: Gameboy Music Visualizer

Maybe you should check LSDj? http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/
If I'm correct there's a way to link it with a MIDI hardware so you can probably make use of it.

Unfortunatly I haven't sudied the subject enough to give you a better answer.

#3 2015-08-13 18:01:36

Adzetko

Re: Gameboy Music Visualizer

With an Arduinoboy, a device made for sync LSDJ with midi, that would be a live midi visualizer you are looking for. And I think it's easier to do with midi than with serial.

Board footer