Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2015-06-23 23:41:56

devynian

Is it legal to sell original gameboy devkit?

I have a gameboy devkit from an old gameboy game manufacturer that my friend used to work at. Would it be legal to sell it? Mind you, it wasn't legal at the time to use. It was made in the early 90s by Bung and was used by professionals and amateurs to test games on the console because Nintendo's method was considerably more expensive. So what Im asking is it legal for me to sell this? I don't think it was even legal at the time.
http://videogamedevelopmentdevices.wiki … y_Xchanger

Last edited by devynian (2015-06-23 23:43:55)

#2 2015-06-24 19:42:16

nitro2k01
Administrator

Re: Is it legal to sell original gameboy devkit?

There's fundamentally nothing illegal about them, as per legal precedents cases related to Betamax. One of the things Nintendo argued at the time however in the US was that resellers were doing contributory copyright infringement, but those cases were settled out of court. It is absolutely legal to sell it, as long as you don't sell it as a piracy device. It may however still be against eBay's rules, which may rule out eBay as a venue for selling it. Not sure about this though.

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"
Old Chinese Proverb

Board footer