Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

• Index
  •  » Forum Talk
  •  » what about making the learning of programming gb/gbc become simple?

#1 2016-11-21 03:52:19

WillCavalcanti

what about making the learning of programming gb/gbc become simple?

i wish you all read this, i know it's a lot but it's for a great reason, maybe the greatest.

Well, i'm  new with all of this, and  i realized that the process of learning about programming for gb/gbc(using GBDK or RGBDS) it's a big mess. You can find a lot of material if you are patient, but not oerganized properly.

No specific tutorials mostly, just files and examples, or a big explanation of the whole subject.

In a general way that makes learning more difficult. And I think,  if there was such thing as a detailed step-by-step tutorial/video tutorial from how GBDK(or RGBDS) work and how to download and install it to much more complex stuff like making your maps and musics for the game, sprites, sound and everything else, maybe more people like me would get more interested into it.

I learned some basics of sprites, joypad ,and other stuff mainly observing examples and correcting other examples that were outdated and didn't compile. Well, still from the mess.

The easiest way to learn, the best. So if there is a good soul with the wish of encouraging new GBDK(or RGBDS) developers to start leaning stuff and making the whole idea grow up and reach more visibility, PLEASE, start an easy way to teach how to program for gb/gbc, something beginning from concepts and explanations to examples and bigger examples, subject by subject!

Maybe,you must be thinking this is asking too much, cause there's a lot of content out there and it's possible to learn from it.. Well, not for everyone, not the best way.

Anyway, just an idea of trying to get things better to learn. Let me know what you guys think about it!

Last edited by WillCavalcanti (2016-11-21 03:55:19)

#2 2016-11-22 17:20:53

AntonioND
Website

Re: what about making the learning of programming gb/gbc become simple?

That takes time, a lot of it. Most people that know how to develop for the GB are either too busy or they just don't want to spend their limited time on this. However, nobody prevents you from doing it.

#3 2016-11-22 19:21:11

WillCavalcanti

truly, that would take a lot of time. But that's sad, if there was such thing the whole ideia would be more visible and would attract a lot more people. It would be hard word but would make things easier after all.

#4 2016-11-23 15:17:48

AntonioND
Website

Yes, but in the end it all comes back to wanting to what you can get out of it. If the satisfaction of doing it isn't that big compared to the effort, it's probably not worth it.

#5 2020-02-01 14:25:31

mendro

Last month, I had to apply for an emergency loan to be able to pay my rent. I found myself severely stripped for cash after this holiday season. I took a while to compare the fees off a bunch of storefront lenders though, with a massive choice of different companies to look at here. I didn’t get money instantly though, took 3 days for me.

Last edited by mendro (2020-02-19 06:10:03)

• Index
  •  » Forum Talk
  •  » what about making the learning of programming gb/gbc become simple?

Board footer