Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2017-06-12 13:53:45

baskerville

Music question, about GB in relation to other DAW's

I'm just getting into all of this, I'm learning ASM and C now to try to develop games for GB. I'm new to this and I'm learning boolean algebra just now (to [put into perspective), because apparently I was told to.

In the past, I've produced music for plenty of different things, but not for games. I use Ableton 9 Live (a DAW) to make my songs. Is there a way to keep my same workflow and use that software, then export and convert in some strange way to fit into the GB? If so, how? If not, how do I go about making music for the GB?

Last edited by baskerville (2017-06-12 14:35:53)

#2 2017-06-13 01:04:30

Plasma

Re: Music question, about GB in relation to other DAW's

To make music on the Game Boy, you will need something like GBT Player to make music to use in a game.
I know that GBT Player in particular lets you convert MOD files to a Game Boy usable format, something like Modplug Tracker would allow you to create/edit MOD files, but you have to keep in the limits of the Game Boy, it would be a good idea to look at and use the template MOD file and examples included with GBT Player as a base to create Game Boy music, I won't go into detail here, but they have the formatting that the converter uses to convert the file, using these would help your music turn out the way you intended.

(GBT Player Link: https://github.com/AntonioND/gbt-player )
(Modplug Tracker link: https://openmpt.org/ )

Last edited by Plasma (2017-06-13 01:21:04)

#3 2017-07-11 03:58:15

sergeeo

Yep, if you are going to make music for the GB, you'd better get used to trackers or MML. Workflow is veeeery different to modern DAWs.

If you have in mind the limits of the GB soundchip, you could use Ableton to compose a 4 channel MIDI that you could transcribe later to other formats. You can read more about GB sound limitations here: http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/Gameb … d_hardware

#4 2017-07-11 08:38:19

tmk
Website

I'd say avoid any converters and make music/sound directly on Gameboy itself. It's not easy nor convinient but at least you can hear exactly how does it sound. If you want to use it later in some game or demo you need standalone replayer. My choice here would be Carillon.

#5 2017-07-13 14:21:27

Mills

The best options are:

GBT player which converts mod files and is very easy to use.

Carillon player: is a program that works on the gameboy itself. It is a bit difficut to use at first, but it also works on pc using emulators and it was used nearly in all demos released for gameboy/color.

Board footer