Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2018-01-26 01:22:51

Syrup

Cloudboy - Web based dev environment

Hi, I hacked together a little web based dev environment for gameboy games: https://cloudboy.iv-dev.de

Please let me know what you think and what functionality the tool is missing. I have not much experience in gameboy development so far, so I don't know what functionality people might want.

So far its very basic:
* Code editor
* Sprite editor
* Map editor
* Compile & Run option

So possible features could be:
* Configuring compiler flags?
* Sound editor?
* You name it :-)

Let me know what you think.

#2 2018-01-26 13:12:24

ISSOtm
Website

Re: Cloudboy - Web based dev environment

Would it be possible to also do a version with RGBDS ?

The French Lord Of Laziness.
Legend of Zelda and Undertale fan, I also tend to break Pokémon R/B/Y a little too much.

Twitter | Me on GCL | Discord : ISSOtm#9015 | Skype : isso.tm (I don't login anymore)

#3 2018-01-26 16:05:54

tobiasvl

Looks really interesting! Although maybe not exactly for us enthusiasts, I can see this helping people get involved.

Just a few UI things:

The "Stay logged in" checkbox on the front page is in German. So is the "Back" button if you try to create a project with an invalid name.

When you create a project, you seem to get booted back to the "Create project" page without the new project appearing in the list above. I had to refresh to get it to show.

Even if you choose an "empty" template (the only template there is?), it adds code to display "Hello World!". Not really empty, then.

I can't get the sprite/BG editor to work. When I click on the canvas, nothing happens. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10.

It would be awesome if it supported direct ASM instead of C wink

Discord: tobiasvl#6844 | GitHub: tobiasvl

#4 2018-01-27 02:28:39

Syrup

Hey Guys, I fixed the german language that sneaked in there as well as the project creation.

For the issue in chrome, I can currently not reproduce that but I will look for it.

Hmm making it work with ASM instead of C is possible but I know even less about that than I know about the C stuff. I would need someone to explain me how things work in there to get that working :-)

#5 2018-01-27 05:45:56

ISSOtm
Website

Easy, there's RGBASM for the assembly stage, RGBLINK for the linnk stage, and then you run RGBFIX to make sure the header is valid, checksums etc.

The French Lord Of Laziness.
Legend of Zelda and Undertale fan, I also tend to break Pokémon R/B/Y a little too much.

Twitter | Me on GCL | Discord : ISSOtm#9015 | Skype : isso.tm (I don't login anymore)

#6 2018-01-27 08:41:15

MrElephant

I think this is definitely a neat idea.  It would make working on projects with teams a lot easier.  One thing I noticed while playing around with the application is when you are drawing tiles in say 2x2 (google chrome)-if you start in the top two tiles and want to draw into the bottom two tiles, a blue selection area pops up over the lower two tiles (acting like you want to copy or paste stuff).

Working in Gameboy BASIC.

#7 2018-01-28 12:26:28

npzman
Banned

would it do ZGB

Twitter : @Sfeedman please follow
Join : sfeed.club my website please join

#8 2018-01-29 10:36:50

Hell_666

Really interesting, I'm very curious to see the future releases !

It would be very cool to have a way to import .c files from disk, I could test it with my own games or my custom engine.
An option to copy an image data to a tile could be very nice too.

#9 2018-01-29 10:49:56

npzman
Banned

Hell_666 wrote:

Really interesting, I'm very curious to see the future releases !

It would be very cool to have a way to import .c files from disk, I could test it with my own games or my custom engine.
An option to copy an image data to a tile could be very nice too.

what is your custom engine I am interested

Twitter : @Sfeedman please follow
Join : sfeed.club my website please join

#10 2018-01-30 01:53:34

Syrup

So i added some settings, that you can configure the source editor a little bit.

Also I added very basic support for banking. What I learned from the global gamejam :-)

I also added a public play page that you are able to share the latest successful build quickly with your friends. For example the game I made recently:
https://cloudboy.iv-dev.de/play.php?game=PostBot

I will have a look into the import stuff, was planning that anyway and I might have found a library that can do it.

For engine integration like ZGB: I have no idea so far. Haven't had a loot into it yet. I put it on my todo list directly next to ASM integration :-)

Last edited by Syrup (2018-01-30 01:53:56)

#11 2018-01-30 03:22:06

Syrup

So I added support for importing images. There is now an import button in the new file dialog. Next on the to do list is importing sources from a zip file ;-) maybe also from github.

#12 2018-01-30 07:02:59

Robbi_Blechdose

@Syrup I tried your game, it's awesome! Is there any chance you could change the keymaps to eb A/S for A/B and M/N for Start/Select?
That's the one I use, but I mainly report it because X/Z is a problem on QWERTZ keyboards.

Board footer