Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2015-07-31 00:32:14

NicklausW

Why do people still use GBDK?

Just...why? It's an outdated piece of crap.

#2 2015-08-01 18:40:29

Xephyr

Re: Why do people still use GBDK?

It's faster to program with GBDK if you know C and not assembly, and if your project doesn't need anything really complicated.

#3 2015-08-01 20:01:06

Scazon
Website

I'm a game designer, not a programmer. I don't have the time/patience to learn assembly when I could quickly make a few prototypes in C.

#4 2015-08-07 20:30:44

a cat

if someone could make a modern gbdk it would be great though
sdcc(a modern c compiler) can compile for the game-boy
all that is needed is for someone to write a c standed library for use with sdcc and the gameboy and we have a awesome modern compiler for the gameboy

here's a thred on the sdcc forums about compiling sdcc for the gameboy:
http://sourceforge.net/p/sdcc/discussio … /e04ebcc5/

Dose anyone know how to write a very simple standerd library for the gameboy?

a cat in need of knowledge!!

#5 2016-03-22 18:10:55

d.bop

First, sorry for bumping an old topic.

Second: First post! Woohoo!

On-Topic:
I *may* pick up this project. I have over a decade (off and on) of C/++/# experience. Right now, I'm learning RGBDS because I just couldn't click with the mess that is GBDK.

Some background:
I was originally working on a Wii U game that was very strictly based on the CGB's specs (to the point that I have a mostly working graphics engine written in C# that loads GB binary format tiles/maps/palettes/etc, and mimics the behavior of the background, window, GB-specific registers, memory locations, etc..) I decided if I was going to go this far, and with the "NX" coming sometime soon, I should just learn to code on the real thing, make the game, and port it over. Obviously having a C-variant environment would be ideal for porting to a modern platform so this idea has been on my mind for some time (including a GB-specific IDE, but that's for another time...) smile

With that being said, once I feel pretty grounded, I *might* take a stab at this (ok, I most likely will). It probably won't be very good in the beginning, and will only provide a few global shortcuts for GB register locations like LCDC, STAT... but it'll be something.

It might take a while until I get to this. Day-job and all... but it definitely seems like a do-able project. Especially since SDCC seems to already do the hard part for us.

#6 2016-03-24 18:58:05

MrElephant

D.bop I hope what you say is true, it would be pretty awesome to have an updated gbdk.  Anyways, welcome to the forum, and I hope you learn a lot smile

Working in Gameboy BASIC.

#7 2016-03-24 21:39:29

d.bop

I definitely plan on it. I'm still an assembly newbie though, so it might be a while.

#8 2018-02-19 06:35:28

Millahardman
Banned

GBDK is easier to maintain.Thats why everyone use it.

#9 2018-02-19 07:28:48

ISSOtm
Website

NECROBUMP
POWAAA

GBDK is a huge mess, and the project was unmaintainable that a newer version had to be made instead of changing the current one.

C can feel easier to maintain, but I think that applying OOP concepts (encapsulation, mostly) greatly helps maintaining C code, and even more so ASM.
Also, there aren't more C users than ASM users. GBDK is the only large C framework, so that's why it's widely used -- but there's a project of a newer framework, that should be as easy to use (probably not, since we would drop some of the abstractions), but less of a pain to give support for.
Because honestly, when something goes wrong with GBDK-using code, nobody has any idea what is wrong. (75% of the time.)

The French Lord Of Laziness.
Legend of Zelda and Undertale fan, I also tend to break Pokémon R/B/Y a little too much.

Twitter | Me on GCL | Discord : ISSOtm#9015 | Skype : isso.tm (I don't login anymore)

#10 2018-02-23 10:03:23

nitro2k01
Administrator

ISSOtm, would you believe that Millahardman was just a spammer? Doing "SEO" by putting a link to a retirement home (!) in the website field.

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"
Old Chinese Proverb

Board footer