Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2018-10-21 04:35:32

colorful_courier
Website

learning advanced gb assembly? ☕

Hello all smile
i have created two small dmg games using asm coding (gesusa hilfe and blossom rom) and now i want to create a game that is larger and more complex and to have things such as scrolling maps, text conversations, menus and more yikes ⚡⚡
i have little coding experience roll and it is very obvious to me that i need to learn more then just the simple basic uses of op codes, macros and the assembler.

does anyone have an advice about where to learn some advanced assembly techniques? (like articles, tutorials, code examples or other things) or even general things about asm game coding and so on..

thanks

#2 2018-10-21 08:24:40

ISSOtm
Website

Re: learning advanced gb assembly? ☕

Imo, the first order of business is to open BGB and look at how games do what you want to do. For example, scrolling maps. (Note: the Pokémon games are awful examples.)
Also, I would recommend my my tutorial, but if you have enough experience, what's there now isn't gonna be very useful. I am planning to expand with more content such as what you wish for, but I have another project on my hands at the moment.

The French Lord Of Laziness.
Legend of Zelda and Undertale fan, I also tend to break Pokémon R/B/Y a little too much.

Twitter | Me on GCL | Discord : ISSOtm#9015 | Skype : isso.tm (I don't login anymore)

#3 2018-10-21 13:53:10

colorful_courier
Website

thanks ISSOtm!
looking into your tutorial smile it's cool and i will go through it in case i am missing some basic knowledge but as you said i do need something more advanced so looking foreword to the future content wink

im afraid that looking straight into the code of games is too advanced for me, last time i tried that i was very much not successful.
+ too bad that the pokemon map is bad because i do want to create a map without jumps, unlike zelda for example. 

♦ ♦

#4 2018-10-21 18:51:36

ISSOtm
Website

I never said to look at the code, you need only to look at things like the VRAM viewer and IO map.

Legend of Zelda and Undertale fan, I also tend to break Pokémon R/B/Y a little too much.

Twitter | Me on GCL | Discord : ISSOtm#9015 | Skype : isso.tm (I don't login anymore)

#5 2018-10-22 06:25:38

colorful_courier
Website

ah yes ☀ at the VRAM i look all the time and do learn from other games.
what would you look at in the IO map?

#6 2018-10-22 14:41:11

ISSOtm
Website

Mid-scanline register changes (take a look at how wavy animations are done, watch SCX closely)

#7 2018-10-22 16:30:19

Jonas
Website

ISSOtm wrote:

Also, I would recommend my my tutorial, but if you have enough experience, what's there now isn't gonna be very useful. I am planning to expand with more content such as what you wish for, but I have another project on my hands at the moment.

Thanks for posting this. smile The tutorial is very well written. There are some neat little tips and tricks in it that I didn't know about. If you ever find the time to complete it, that won't go unnoticed.

#8 2018-10-23 01:35:23

ISSOtm
Website

I definitely intend to complete it, it may just not be any time soon due to having my hands full with another project. It's however definitely second on the list.

Board footer