Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2019-02-07 22:23:07

NovaSquirrel

Forehead Block Guy GB

https://i.imgur.com/OcZzWl1.gif
I have a Game Boy Color project I've worked on a bit and I recently wanted to maybe try and finish it or get more progress on it but I'm unsure if it's fun or not. I'd appreciate feedback if people are willing to give it. It's an enhanced remake of my first NES homebrew game and it's an attempt at making a complex and fun game that packs a lot of gameplay into 32KB and shows off what you can do with assembly.

Yes, going past the last level crashes, you don't need to report that.

Source code
ROM

Last edited by NovaSquirrel (2019-02-07 22:23:45)

#2 2019-02-09 18:23:16

drludos

Re: Forehead Block Guy GB

Woaw, congrats on the game!

I've just played the rom, and it's excellent!
The gameplay is smooth (even with loads of stuffs onscreen+scrolling, you do know your ASM!), the graphics are beautiful and colorful, and the game is fun to play.

I like the variety of the levels  / ennemies (collect doritoes / kill ennemies, ground enemies, flying ones, etc.).
The game start very easy, but it rapidly gets challenging (I started to struggle at level 7).

Honestly, I can't see real flaws in the current build, except for the lack of sound / music that I bet is normal for now!

Some ideas / remarks :
- I really love the level loading screen with a diagram of the full map
- I like how each dorito display a number to tell you how many are required to finish the level
- I think that the level ending is a bit "abrupt" - maybe you should add a short "well done, level complete!" message before going to the next level.
- The fact that you can crouch down made me dies a couple of times
- I love how the color of block change every time you shot them

All in all, a very impressive game for a 32k rom! You should finish it (sound) and publish it on cartrige!

Download ROMs of my games: https://drludos.itch.io/
Support my work and get access to beta and prototypes: https://www.patreon.com/drludos

#3 2019-02-09 18:53:35

NovaSquirrel

https://i.imgur.com/91RdVkl.gif
Here's me just showing off and making it look like I've got a lot going on when in reality enemies don't run a lot of code. The most expensive thing is collision detection, I think, and when enemies don't collide with each other that's easy.

Anyway, this game is far from complete! There's still over 20 kilobytes free and it'd be a shame to leave all that space empty. There are only about 13 levels and additional levels are really tiny, especially since level maps can be reused, so I'd like to have a lot of them. I want to have even more enemy types too, and maybe some bosses? Maybe more game mechanics to make things more interesting? Or if nothing else, just tons more polish. Music will take up a chunk of space but I don't know how much.

I heard some concerns about reaction time though (which is really difficult with the Game Boy's small screen), and like you said the difficulty needs adjusting. I probably need some sort of difficulty switch but I don't know what it should control; the amount of health? Maybe make enemies slower on low difficulties too?

#4 2019-02-15 00:55:16

PinoBatch

NovaSquirrel wrote:

There's still over 20 kilobytes free and it'd be a shame to leave all that space empty.

How big is all the text? And do you have some VRAM free for a couple accented glyphs?

#5 2019-02-15 01:23:01

NovaSquirrel

PinoBatch wrote:

NovaSquirrel wrote:

There's still over 20 kilobytes free and it'd be a shame to leave all that space empty.

How big is all the text? And do you have some VRAM free for a couple accented glyphs?

There's not really much text? Just the help screen and all the dialog text. I don't know what I'd need accented glyphs for though? I have an entire ASCII font in there right now and I definitely don't need all of those characters so I could replace them if nothing else.

Edit: never mind, I can sense a joke about adding a Polish translation incoming

Last edited by NovaSquirrel (2019-02-15 01:57:47)

#6 2019-02-15 16:46:43

PinoBatch

For those who didn't get it:

Gruniożerca 2 and Gruniożerca 3 changed everything. For the last couple NESdev Compo iterations, they've been among the most polished entries in both senses: well made and having "Polski" in the menu. This has resulted in a correlation between polish and Polish, which I admit certainly isn't causation.

Board footer