Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2008-02-24 18:10:47

cualquiercosa327

Motor grafico/Engine ideas (Espaņol/English)

Hola ,soy nuevo en esto de programar para la gameboy,(se algo de java y c ,pero nunca he programado algo serio o en ensamblador.)
He estado leyendo un monton de informacion y viendo las demos y hay algunas increibles.No imaginaba q la game boy pudiera hacer esas cosas.
Me he encontrado con el codigo,en asm,de cosas interesantisimas desde usas imagenes en hicolor hasta un sprite de kirby enorme!!!

Pienso q seria increible poder jutarlo todo en un mismo proyecto ,similar a los motores graficos de los juegos comerciales,o en programas como darkbasic,y usar todo el codigo disponible.

todo junto para crear algo con lo q se pudieran hacer facilmente juegos q explotaran la gameboy color al 100 por 100 y sin tener q escribir una linea de codigo.

El usuario solo se dedicaria a la parte de diseņar y crear los niveles,mapas,animaciones,enemigos,sonidos,..

El diseņo seria parecido a programas de edicion de video como windows movie maker

Todo modular,para poder aņadir codigo nuevo,y tambien para nuevas arquitecturas como la gameboy advance.

Como ejemplos:

En la parte de animaciones usar la base de kirbyxxl  (increible q una gameboy pueda dibujar eso,y sobre todo a la velocidad q lo hace cuando se presiona la tecla arriba!!,solo pensar q la color tiene el doble de velocidad,bufff...)

Para el scroll normal ,estaria genial usar algo como lo q aparece en donkey kong land,en mi opinion el mejor motor 2d para gameboy color.
la suavidad de movimientos,los graficos.Si a eso le aņadimos mas potencia de la color y quiza el hicolor,....

Hicolors:

Usar codigo y programas de jeff and gleen cook ( la demo para mostrar de 6 a 8 fps con hicolor es increible)

3D

Esta parte seria mas dificil.Como idea me surgio al ver la demo superfx emulator of elmar krieger.De esta tampoco tenemos las fuentes.
Creo q podriamos pedirselas o algo de ingenieria inversa y desensamblado.Es una pena q no lo finalizara,estaria bien saber si hubiera podido
poner mas coches y  que funcionase en la gameboy y probar esa tecnologia con la potencia extra de la color y ponerle texturas en color (y ya en hicolor seria la leche!!)

Efectos especiales

-highscore

-zoomar

Ambos con codigo fuente descargable libremente.

y un scroll como  demotronic  para poner  letras.Desgraciadamente no tenemos el codigo de este.Quiza pidiendolo.

La idea es poder usar todo el potencial de la gameboy y la gameboy color,y poder crear juegos facilmente,donde el usuario no se preocupara para nada de la programacion.
En cada effecto o cosa aņadida "sumaria" unos puntos o algo ,para ver cuales se pueden o no poner juntos ,sin sobrepasar los limites de la consola.

Un ejemplo es q si la cpu y memoria aun tiene recursos,pues poder poner algun efecto mas,o si no pudiera con ello,avisar al usuario.

Algunas de las cosas mas interesantes q comento son de la gameboy ,asi q imagino q usando la potencia extra de la color se podria aņadir mas cosas y quiza el increible hicolor.

Ejemplos ver a donkey kong parecido al de snes,o el stuntfx,ese kirbi luciendo unos explendidos colores. O imitar un combate al estilo Wade Hixton's Counter Punch pero con la gameboy color y el kirby .

creo q seria muy interesante poder llegar a hacer esto,debido a la cantidad de emuladores para todas las plataformas de la gameboy,se podria usar facilmente los proyectos creados con este motor en cualquier plataforma actual y no tanto (como mi zire31)

#2 2008-02-24 19:34:45

nitro2k01
Administrator

Re: Motor grafico/Engine ideas (Espaņol/English)

Here is the english translation of his post, which I also proofread and corrected some grammatical errors.

Hello, my name is Dani. I am new to Gameboy programming (I know some of c and java but I am learning some asm as well)
I have read a lot info and watched several demos, and I am impressed by the power of Gameboy and GBC. I saw a lot of interesting ASM code that can do almost amything, from hicolor to big tiles...

I think it would incredible to use all available code and create a project, similar to a commercial game engine (or software like darkbasic) but using source code from freely available sources.

The user could create maps, tiles, animation (or using existing sprites of older games, to test thing out) and compose music easily focusing on design, rather than programming.

Design would be similar to video editing, as in Windows Movie Maker, only cut and paste, and export

It would be modular, first you can do a game for Gameboy Color. Then, adding a new plugin with more code, and maybe even be ported to other architectures. More code can be added easily.

For example:

ANIMATION PART:
It would use the code from Kirby XXL. (Wow, incredible!! And with Gameboy color's double speed mode, maybe more incredible!!)
I thope that we can do motion as Donkey Kong Land. I think it is the best 2d game for GB, it is fast, and good quality.
Another example: warwalk1

HICOLOR

Use the code of jeff and gleen cook.(Their demos have 6-8 fps with full images hicolor)

3D:
Stunt Race FX of Elmar Krieger, maybe 4 cars are possible on Gameboy?? And on GBC??

SPECIAL EFFECTS
The scroller of Demotronic for letters
highscore
zoomar

The idea is using the full potential of Gameboy Color and make it possible to create games easily. The user can select from some options and work. (There must be some "counter" of resourcers, so you won't exceed what the Gameboy can handle. For example,if the CPU is out of resources, the program won't allow you to add more things, or if effects exist, you can't add more efects...)

All demos/engines I've mentioned are Gameboy, (Except hicolor and demotronic) I think with the double speed of GBC, everything can be in hi-color??

For example:
Kirby XXL in hi-color.
Scroll engine as Donkey Kong with hi-color
3D textures with hi-color

And the ability to "transform" to asm code and see in realtime with a emulator.

It would be  increible to be able to use all power of the Gameboy Color and Gameboy without having to learn Z80 asm, but using already existing code.

You would using different tecnology used in demos in the same proyect.

I think it would be interesting because of the restrictions of Gameboy, and the accesibility on other systems through emulators from PC's, gaming consoles, handhelds... and the ability to play new homebrew games.

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"
Old Chinese Proverb

#3 2008-02-26 12:33:37

cualquiercosa327

Hello again.I would like post some ideas about this proyect.
yesterday night i was chating about it and i was said about problems of it and maybe imposibility of some ideas.
I wanna share that file. http://rapidshare.com/files/95127478/dk.zip.html i have just uploaded.

there are 3 files:
-donkey kong land 3
-donkey kong land 3 hacked with color
-donkey kong country color.

it is curious the similitudes of two colorīs versiones.One is a gbc color game,and other is the gb game  which had added colors .no extra freatures,only color.no use the gb color potencial,only colour it.
The idea is,if it is so increible without add code,optimizade code,only colors,why dont use cicles extra of gbc cpu for doing new effects (maybe hicolor ,no???)

If you look gbc version ,the "original" is not faster,and it is not seem better than hacked version,in my view.

coments??

#4 2008-03-05 08:34:41

FailedArtifact

Im a little confused. Do you plan to make a engine for gameboy? with all the tools to make a game? Sorry for not understanding.

#5 2008-03-05 10:38:56

nitro2k01
Administrator

At the moment, I think he has a bunch of ideas that he wants a comment on.
I think some of what cualquiercosa327 says are good/valid ideas, and some things are unrealistic. I don't believe in the overall idea of making a totally graphical editor that needs no programming experience.

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"
Old Chinese Proverb

#6 2008-03-05 14:25:24

FailedArtifact

Ah, well, thoughs types of programs don't really have much choice to do stuff. I would suggest to build a all in one engine IDE. Where you can directly run code to a emulator once compiled. Then may be adding features to contain all the programs you would need for the graphical/sound you need.

#7 2008-03-08 11:56:48

cualquiercosa327

A BETTER EXPLICATION:

hello again i would explain it again,with a example

I know it maybe is a little crazy (why program on older plataform as gameboy color,no?) having new Ds,or almos advance,but i think it is a great console,and it should have been  used more and better.(the same as advance,it has bigs games but none HUGE)

The idea about choose gameboy are several:
1)it is a "simple plataform" and also would be a tribute fot 8 bits
2)there are plenty emulator in any system (from pdas to pc..)
3)There are a lot of demos and sources using interesting tricks (ones are yours) and exploting all resources of it.

I think in using all programs we have and sources availibles and create a "engine" using all.
The idea is a high level-game editor ,with no many program knowledge but using all potency (a huge part of  code is done,only we have to use it)
Examples as kirbyxxl,hicolor demos,stunt race fx of elmar krieger gave me a lot of ideas,for a new engine and a new game.

Similar to adventure creator for pc but using gbcolor as plafatorm for play it.

Also editor utils are availible and its sources,maybe integrate is on our program (we have not redo things which are already done .)

I  know no all code can be executed at same time,but  the game has not use only a mode of gameplay.

For example,to explain it,i will use Final fantasy 7 to demo my ideas.
it has several "modes" ,a mode with render background when you talk people...(similar to seing fish file game,and clasic adventures),
a mode when  you travel the external word (it could be on perspective vision as clasic rpg ,or trying 3d as seing in stunt racerfx) for moving for the map.

For combats using clasic gameplay ,scroll as implement on games as donkey kong or street fighter (we have not this code sad ).
Also it would nice using tricks as you used on kirbyxxl with a monster (a pseudovideo maybe) and using hicolor on it.

Also it modes can be convined for puzzles.

Also i have dude if two kirbys (ot other character) could be displayed ,we dont need the speed it has when  press up,(it is really increible seing it on a simple gb!!) and gbcolor also has double speed than normal gameboy) .
Maybe a "Wade Hixton's Counter Punch" stile demo playable(it would be funny if fighters has not more magic,they have finally to decide the combat only with puchs :p ).I know  we have to calculate all animation and it is limited because ram,and use no many animation and calculate it,but i would like learn,and maybe create a program to automatize it.

Also we can use other demos sources for implement special effect as realtime zoom,and use as videos showing more about story...

In the program it would nice also using sources of a emulator for seing on realtime how game is seing.

#8 2010-07-08 11:15:42

stereochris

an IDE like that already exists... i'll see if i can find the link. its a real old program, designed to run on windows 95, but allows you to input the paths to RGBASM and RGBFIX and your emulator. Allows you to have multiple open files, and multiple files to a project, so you can separate memory routines and stuff like that. And theres just a "play" button, when you press it your code gets compiled, copied to a test directory, and opened with your emulator. Only problem with that is debugging because the command window gets closed by the IDE and theres almost no time to check what lines your errors are on.

actually... i'm just going to post a ton of resources that i think you guys will appreciate

assembly language programming for gameboy class: http://cratel.wichita.edu/cratel/ECE238Spr08

big archive of other peoples demos / animations for GB : http://gameboy.modermodemet.se/en/demos

great archive of gameboy info, download everything : http://marc.rawer.de/Gameboy/docu_docs.htm

gameboy assembler studio: http://web.telia.com/~u31802901/nicbit/ … /gbasm.htm

READ THIS: its on the assembler studio site... his programs require some runtime-files to work, these should be located in your \WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder. If you don't have these files then you can download them here! (You don't have them if you get an error message and the program won't start.)

make sure you grab those extra files if you don't have them or the program wont run

Board footer