Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2019-07-13 00:30:06

WeaselBomb
Website

MBC5 in WinCUPL (problem)

DISCLAIMER: I am new to programmable logic and may ask some stupid questions. I apologize in advance. I have no formal training/education in this field.

*EDIT: I may or may not still use WinCUPL, I've started playing around with Xilinx ISE Webpack and have been impressed so far.*

My last project was so much fun, I've finally decided I'd like to start another. What I've got is a flash cartridge with 2 MB flash, 32 KB FRAM, a genuine MBC3 chip, and solderless battery swap via a coin cell retainer. For the next step, I would like to expand on that by including ALL the bells and whistles: 8 MB flash, 128 KB FRAM, RTC, and a CPLD to replace the MBC, coded in WinCUPL or VHDL.

The logic part will be easy enough to figure out, given all the documentation that's out there. The real problem is powering the circuit. All I know is that I can't use 5 volts throughout, because the parts just aren't available. Also, to power a CPLD from a coin battery (for the RTC) requires them to use less than 3v, I think? And realistically, it would probably be wise to shoot lower than that, so the battery can discharge even longer before dropping below the required supply voltage. So we may be looking at using a 1.8v CPLD, which will likely require its own regulator...geez.

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-07-27 13:24:51)

#2 2019-07-24 22:53:47

WeaselBomb
Website

Re: MBC5 in WinCUPL (problem)

Got tired of digging through datasheets so started wiring up a circuit. Had some 2 MB flash laying around, so I wired it up without an MBC (as a first step) and verified that it could read/write Tetris to/from the flash. Next will add in the only CPLD I currently have on hand, an Atmel ATF1504ASL. For the I/O list, I figure I will need the following:
-4 Address lines (A15..A12)
-8 Data lines (D7..D0)
-6 control signals (WR, RD, CS, RAMCS, ROM WE, RESET)
-10 bank select lines (HiAddress22..HiAddress13, RAM and ROM can share 14-16)

That's 28 I/O lines, which should leave me 4 I/O still open. That's good, because I can still add RTC, and drive level shifters' OE if I go with a 1.8v CPLD.

I think my next goals are:
-write the MBC1-5 code in WinCUPL/VHDL/Verilog
-start picking out parts for the cartridge I want to make

https://i.imgur.com/eBiZzZIm.jpg?1

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-07-24 23:12:35)

#3 2019-07-27 13:14:33

WeaselBomb
Website

Well, the code required to make 32 KB roms work was easy enough. I thought something was wrong with my ROM chip, but then I remembered that I never put in a pull-up resistor on #WE...whoops. For now, I'm toggling #WE using the cart's Audio pin, and I'm thinking that's probably a better idea than generating a #WE signal from the CPLD.

/***************INPUTS***************/
pin 3 = A14;
pin 39 = RESET;

/***************OUTPUTS***************/
pin 23 = HiRom0;    /*RA14*/

/**************EQUATIONS**************/
HiRom0 = A14 & RESET;

Well, I'm satisfied with the setup so far, so next I guess it's time to try actual rom banking.

#4 2019-07-27 15:33:07

WeaselBomb
Website

Well, I expanded the code a bit to try some rom banking, and it kind of works. I wanted to start small, so I decided to try Super Mario Land, which is MBC1 + 64 KB (no ram). The flasher was able to read/write it with no errors. When I try to read it on my Gameboy, however, it freezes after the boot screen disappears. It makes me wonder if I'm missing something that the MBC1 needs...will have to experiment some more.

*EDIT: changed bit 0 of the rom bank register to be preset to 1 after RESET is asserted. This allows roms that have no MBC to still be able to read 0x4000 to 0x7FFF.*

pin 2 = A15;
pin 3 = A14;
pin 5 = A13;

pin 8 = D0;
pin 10 = D1;

pin 39 = RESET;
pin 44 = WR;

/***************OUTPUTS***************/
pin 23 = HiRom0;    /*RA14*/
pin 25 = HiRom1;    /*RA15*/

/**************VARIABLES**************/

/*Rom Bank Register*/
node RomBank0;
node RomBank1;
RomBankSwitch = !A15 & !A14 & A13 & !WR;

RomBank0.L = D0 # !D1;
RomBank1.L = D1;

RomBank0.LE = RomBankSwitch;
RomBank1.LE = RomBankSwitch;

RomBank0.AP = !RESET;
RomBank1.AR = !RESET;

HiRomAccess = A14 & RESET;

HiRom1 = RomBank1 & HiRomAccess;
HiRom0 = RomBank0 & HiRomAccess;

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-07-28 01:23:45)

#5 2019-08-04 18:38:45

Tauwasser

Hi WeaselBomb,

I think it's cool that you document your exploits on here smile

One thing that immediately springs to mind is the fact that you only look at D1 and D0 to do the zero-adjustment logic.
By your logic, selecting ROM bank 1 will actually select ROM bank 0, while selecting ROM bank 1 will result in ROM bank 0.
Selecting any higher ROM bank will alias in weird ways, because of this switch. The usual expectation would be for ROM bank 2 to alias back to 0 (instead of 1).

You'd basically want to store the value as-is and instead OR the HiRom0 output with the NOR of all internal banking bits.
The real MBC1 of course does zero adjust on all 5 internal bank bits instead of the two you have.

Last edited by Tauwasser (2019-08-04 18:44:42)

#6 2019-08-06 20:11:00

WeaselBomb
Website

Hey again, Tauwasser! It's been a while since I've updated this, I got bogged down in trying to work out some ideas for RTC. Turns out that feature is a lot harder to implement than I thought. This is as far as I got before I decided that Xilinx has better options regarding power consumption (I think). I was dead set on using the XC2C32A, until I realized that all the RTC registers wouldn't fit on it...in fact, I don't think the entire design could fit on anything less than the XC2C128! This results in a lot of wasted pins, extra power draw, etc.

I created a test bench in ISE using ONLY the code for the real-time clock, so I could get a ballpark estimate of how much current the 128 would draw when running on battery. It estimated around 20uA (even with the CoolClock feature) which didn't sound too bad, but I think it would drain a CR2025 in around 300-350 days? I'm a Xilinx noob, so there may be other ways to save power (besides the DataGATE) that I'm not aware of. Regardless, that CPLD takes up a TON of space AND requires its own dedicated regulator! Not exactly ideal.

Next, I thought maybe I could use an external RTC chip. I think I looked through every single datasheet on digikey and mouser.com before I gave up hope. All of them had at least one of these problems:
-data stored in wrong format (BCD instead of binary)
-day counter only goes from 1-31 (they use a month and year counter instead)
-they require a serial interface
-they use binary, but they only use a 32-bit seconds counter

So yeah, RTC is about to make me jump off of a bridge. I was tempted to finally give up on including it, because the remainder of the design is simple and works great (in theory) as it is. But this week, I've discovered the magic of microcontrollers. As badly as I wanted to do this with a CPLD, I think a MCU might be the best option for RTC. A lot of the devices I've seen have insanely low power draw, integrated RTC, and even dedicated battery inputs! All of this while using even less power than a CoolRunner-II (I think).

Code:

pin 2 = A15;
pin 3 = A14;
pin 5 = A13;
pin 6 = A12;

pin 13 = D0;
pin 14 = D1;
pin 15 = D2;
pin 18 = D3;
pin 19 = D4;
pin 20 = D5;
pin 21 = D6;
pin 22 = D7;

pin 23 = HiRom0;    /*RA14*/
pin 25 = HiRom1;    /*RA15*/
pin 27 = HiRom2;    /*RA16*/
pin 28 = HiRom3;    /*RA17*/
pin 30 = HiRom4;    /*RA18*/
pin 31 = HiRom5;    /*RA19*/
pin 33 = HiRom6;    /*RA20*/

pin 39 = RESET;
pin 44 = WR;

/**************VARIABLES**************/
pinnode 615 = RomBank0;
pinnode 613 = RomBank1;
pinnode 612 = RomBank2;
pinnode 611 = RomBank3;
pinnode 610 = RomBank4;
pinnode 609 = RomBank5;
pinnode 608 = RomBank6;
RomBankSwitch = !A15 & !A14 & A13 & !A12 & !WR;
ReadHiRom = A14 & RESET;

RomBank6.L = D6;
RomBank6.LE = RomBankSwitch;
RomBank6.AR = !RESET;

RomBank5.L = D5;
RomBank5.LE = RomBankSwitch;
RomBank5.AR = !RESET;

RomBank4.L = D4;
RomBank4.LE = RomBankSwitch;
RomBank4.AR = !RESET;

RomBank3.L = D3;
RomBank3.LE = RomBankSwitch;
RomBank3.AR = !RESET;

RomBank2.L = D2;
RomBank2.LE = RomBankSwitch;
RomBank2.AR = !RESET;

RomBank1.L = D1;
RomBank1.LE = RomBankSwitch;
RomBank1.AR = !RESET;

RomBank0.L = D0;
RomBank0.LE = RomBankSwitch;
RomBank0.AP = !RESET;

HiRom0 =(RomBank0 # !(RomBank1 # RomBank2 # RomBank3 # RomBank4 # RomBank5 # RomBank6)) & ReadHiRom;
HiRom1 = RomBank1 & ReadHiRom;
HiRom2 = RomBank2 & ReadHiRom;
HiRom3 = RomBank3 & ReadHiRom;
HiRom4 = RomBank4 & ReadHiRom;
HiRom5 = RomBank5 & ReadHiRom;
HiRom6 = RomBank6 & ReadHiRom;

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-08-06 20:22:33)

#7 2019-08-07 12:10:24

WeaselBomb
Website

Well, after some looking around, an 8 bit PIC microcontroller from Microchip sounds very promising. I haven't locked in an exact device, but a potential one is the PIC16LF191 series.

Here's a datasheet link if anyone's curious: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/268/ … 116203.pdf

It's got a voltage range of 1.8 - 3.6, a dedicated battery input pin, up to 48 I/O, and more RAM than I should ever need for RTC (could also be useful for emulating the MBC2's onboard RAM). It can also be clocked up to 32 MHz.
This means that I don't need any extra diodes/logic for switching to battery backup, PLUS only one single regulator is needed to convert 5v to 3.3!
The only downsides are:
-RTC is stored in BCD, which I will have to manually convert to the correct format.
-Only the Secondary Oscillator (SOSC) is powered by the Vbatt pin. And the SOSC must be an external oscillator. But I was already planning on using an external crystal, so who cares?

I think I've got all my parts pretty much decided. Here's a rough layout:
https://i.imgur.com/Zacw0POm.png

U3,U4 = Level Shifters
U5,U6 = Flash, RAM
MCU1 = MCU
U7 = CR2025 retainer (this part is AMAZING, takes up relatively little space for the battery size)

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-08-08 00:03:34)

#8 2019-08-10 13:36:41

WeaselBomb
Website

One thing I'm working on is driving the DIR signal of my level shifter. I see most people use the #RD signal to drive it, but every dual-supply shifter I've looked at uses the opposite polarity of the #RD signal. I'm wondering if I could just use the #WR signal instead? Since I'm already driving the #OE signal, I would imagine this would work out fine. Could also use a single-supply shifter, but then I wouldn't be able to reach the CMOS standard output level on the 5v side. It would probably still work, but I don't wanna take chances.

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-08-10 13:53:25)

#9 2019-08-10 15:12:12

Tauwasser

Many people just generate an #OE signal from their logic. You need to be aware that the #RD and #WR signals are also connected to the internal GameBoy WRAM and you don't want to drive the data pins when WRAM is addressed, so you would need decoding logic anyway.

As for the MCU, you'd have to evaluate if 32 MHz is enough for your purposes. Basically, you should be fine when you just have decoding logic and your U5, U6 are the actual RAM and ROM parts. However, at 32 MHz, you only have 32 machine instructions for each 1 MHz bus cycle of the Game Boy Edge Connector. And sampling uncertainty makes that 16 machine instructions. So you would need pretty tight code to emulate MBC2 or MBC3's RTC.

#10 2019-08-10 17:25:30

WeaselBomb
Website

That sounds good. I'll generate #OE from the MCU and drive DIR with WR since RD has wrong polarity.

You're right, after double sampling, there isn't much breathing room to read/write internal registers. There's a feature in these MCUs that I was hoping could save me some machine cycles:

Code:

The Configurable Logic Cell (CLCx) module provides programmable logic that 
operates outside the speed limitations of software execution. The logic cell 
selects from 40 input signals and, through the use of configurable gates, 
reduces the inputs to four logic lines that drive one of eight selectable 
single-output logic functions.
Input sources are a combination of the following:
 • I/O pins
• Internal clocks 
• Peripherals
• Register bits

The output can be directed internally to peripherals and to an output pin.

The MCU has 4 of these cells, but I don't think that's enough to avoid decoding via machine cycles.

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-08-10 17:27:15)

#11 2019-08-12 18:24:39

WeaselBomb
Website

Lots of research the past couple of days, and I feel like I generate more questions than answers...

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe these CLC modules can be used to handle the bank switching?
For example, for Rom bank switching, I could set RA14-RA22 = [RomBankRegister] during the write cycle, and use the CLC to enable/disable the output during the read cycle?

Then all I have to do with my instruction cycles is listen for WR to be asserted, and use a jump table to determine which register needs to be written? Something like...

Code:

[Address Bits] | [Register]
0010              | RomBankLow
0011              | RomBankHigh
0001              | RamEnable
0110              | RTC Latch
...etc

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, or if what I am talking about is even possible. Sorry if it doesn't make sense!
Either way, I wonder if this will need to be written in ASM to get the performance I need. I have ordered the MCU in a DIP package to start testing.

...and I actually just realized that all of my pins can generate an interrupt on either edge, so generating an interrupt on the rising edge of WR might mean I don't have to sample the address bus (because the address and data should already be on the bus at that point)? I could just wait for WR to de-assert, see what the address is, then place the incoming data in the corresponding register?

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-08-13 11:53:34)

#12 2019-08-16 20:54:07

WeaselBomb
Website

Well, got the MCU, the Programmable Logic Cells won't be able to do what I had originally wanted, so not sure if this will work out in the end...unfortunate, but I'm still gonna see what I can squeeze out of this thing.

Luckily, I was able to borrow a programmer/debugger from work. Turns out, they're pretty expensive.

I decided to start with the simplest test, so I wired it up and was able to flash Tetris. At this point, I'm not even using machine cycles, just one logic cell to pass through A14 to RA14. Next, I guess I'll try Super Mario Land.

#13 2019-08-19 16:02:29

WeaselBomb
Website

I really thought this MCU would perform a bit better. At 32 MHz, I thought that there would be plenty of cycles to perform everything within a Gameboy instruction cycle.

What I didn't realize at first, was that the MCU requires 4 clock cycles for each instruction, meaning it has a maximum rate of 8 million instructions per second (MIPS). The DMG has a rate of 1 MIPS. At best, that leaves 8 instructions to do everything until the next cycle.

But the Gameboy Color can double in execution speed, reaching up to 2 MIPS. That only leaves FOUR instructions in each cycle, at most!

And last, if I'm not mistaken, Pokemon Stadium on the N64 can play Gameboy games at 3 TIMES the speed, reaching 3 MIPS! At this point, we have less than 3 instructions per cycle!

With 3-4 instructions, I'm not sure if I could ever hope to pull this off, even if I coded completely in ASM and executed all code exclusively from RAM. I think just polling would eat up 2 of those instructions? And with the inherent latency of interrupts, I think I'm out of options...

So, I think it's time to pull the plug on this one. If I can't have full compatibility with all systems (N64, GB, GBC, GBA), then it's not worth moving forward with this. Unless I have an idea that works, like an FPGA + MCU, then I think this is a bust.

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-08-19 16:07:36)

#14 2019-08-23 19:03:25

Tauwasser

Heya!

Sorry for being incommunicado, I was busy at work the last couple of weeks smile

Anyway, it's unfortunate that the PIC doesn't perform, but at least you gained experience and now you probably know a bit or two about the PIC family.

WeaselBomb wrote:

And last, if I'm not mistaken, Pokemon Stadium on the N64 can play Gameboy games at 3 TIMES the speed, reaching 3 MIPS! At this point, we have less than 3 instructions per cycle!

I thought Pokémon Stadium just used the adapter to read the game header and has the ROMs inside to emulate? Basically the only interaction is to read the header to look what game you plugged in and manipulate save data when moving Pokémon.

WeaselBomb wrote:

So, I think it's time to pull the plug on this one. If I can't have full compatibility with all systems (N64, GB, GBC, GBA), then it's not worth moving forward with this. Unless I have an idea that works, like an FPGA + MCU, then I think this is a bust.

I actually liked your original idea of using a CPLD. You just need to find one with the right footprint and energy consumption. There are lots of modern options with a larger number of flip-flops than number of I/Os.
Or you could use an STM32 microcontroller, they run at a whopping 168 MHz and contain much more than you'd ever need (but it's a 3.3V part).

Doing the RTC is the really hard part, because you'd want to store the information in the same way that is put on the data bus in order to avoid doing the conversion live when the register is read.
Personally, I'd look into getting all parts 5V-compatible, less hassle, but 5V is dying...

Regards,

Tauwasser

Last edited by Tauwasser (2019-08-23 19:04:17)

#15 2019-08-25 21:00:00

WeaselBomb
Website

Hey man! It's all good, just been rambling here and there in between ideas and tests, you haven't missed much.

Tauwasser wrote:

I thought Pokémon Stadium just used the adapter to read the game header and has the ROMs inside to emulate? Basically the only interaction is to read the header to look what game you plugged in and manipulate save data when moving Pokémon.

I thought it was using emulation at first, too, but now I'm not so sure. I think someone over at BitBuilt managed to play other titles on Pokemon Stadium just by changing the ROM header to match one of the Pokemon headers. Here's the link to the forum if you wanted to see it: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?t … 639/page-2

Pretty neat stuff, but changing headers just to play on N64 seems kind of impractical. Does this mean it's still using emulation, but doesn't contain the ROMs? I might have to look into this some more.

Tauwasser wrote:

I actually liked your original idea of using a CPLD. You just need to find one with the right footprint and energy consumption. There are lots of modern options with a larger number of flip-flops than number of I/Os.
Or you could use an STM32 microcontroller, they run at a whopping 168 MHz and contain much more than you'd ever need (but it's a 3.3V part).

I would be good with a CPLD, if I could find one with good power consumption, size, and supply voltage. If I have to convert to anything besides 3V, that will require an additional regulator, which eats up board space. The Xilinx XC2C128 has enough flip-flops, but a lot of wasted I/O, and requires 1.8V. The battery also wouldn't last more than a year, according to Xilinx Power Analyzer. I guess I just assumed that this was the lowest power CPLD available, I'll have to look around some more before I give up on CPLDs. If I can get at least 3-5 years out of the battery, that would be good enough for me.

I haven't looked into an STM32 yet. I think I've seen another project that used one, and it seemed to work well. I haven't seen it used with RTC yet.

What about a dedicated calendar RTC chip? They usually have dedicated battery input, automatic battery switchover, and very low power consumption. These features would save a lot of board space, and battery life would be great. I don't think the conversion could be done live, but I wonder if I could set up all the RTC registers during boot-up?

If I want to store the timer on the CPLD, doesn't that prevent me from using a 5V CPLD? That's another reason I was thinking about moving away from CPLDs. To get any decent battery life, it would need a supply voltage of less than 3V, since the battery voltage falls as it discharges.

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-08-27 18:05:42)

#16 2019-08-27 18:00:19

WeaselBomb
Website

After looking at CPLDs some more, I did find newer devices that have enough macrocells to handle everything. Really, the only downside to a CPLD-only solution is power consumption, and that might not even be a problem. I know Xilinx has some equations for estimating current draw, but even those are just for ballpark purposes and may not be accurate. I will probably just have to bite the bullet and purchase one for testing.

As for MCUs and calendar RTCs, the main problem is updating the RTC during gameplay. To get a day counter, I was thinking you would have to combine the Year, Month, and Day of Month registers to get a total day count. This would mean you can't update the day counter just by writing to one single register, like the MBC3 does. Likewise, you can't read the days from one register, either.
An MCU could get around this by loading the converted RTC data onto the CPLD when it boots, but that still leaves the problem of updating the RTC during gameplay. And, if you have to update the RTC, that will involve converting from binary BACK to BCD. At that point, you may as well have 2-way conversion, and just do the conversions live I think? And then there's the issue of handling the Day Carry bit...so many issues with this route. A CPLD-only solution would be so much easier!

*EDIT:
After researching some of the ASM code for Pokemon Crystal, it seems that when setting the clock, the Hour + Minute values are stored in RAM, not to the actual RTC registers. The timer starts when the clock is set. Then, on every frame, the timer is latched and added to the Hour + Minute values in RAM to give the current time. I believe the day counter increments after 24 elapsed hours, NOT at midnight (unless the clock was started at midnight).
In this sense, the timer can be thought of as elapsed time, not current time.

For Pokemon Crystal, I think elapsed time gets stored in the following registers on every other frame:
FF8D: HiDays
FF8E: Days
FF8F: Hours
FF90: Minutes
FF91: Seconds

The first time the timer is started, it starts all registers = 00. Pretty normal, but what's interesting is that starting a new game and setting the clock does NOT reset the timer. Setting the clock through the debug menu on the title screen also does NOT reset the timer.
I'm thinking the only way the game could know the day of the week is to offset the starting day of the week with the day counter. But since the day of week should update at midnight, I'm not sure.

*EDIT 2:
Just found some compelling evidence in Harvest Moon's code that suggests it clears ALL the RTC registers before it starts the timer. The timer appears to only measure periods of elapsed time, like when waiting for a tool to be upgraded, etc. It doesn't run constantly like it does in Pokemon.

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-09-04 00:28:48)

#17 2019-09-02 16:27:56

WeaselBomb
Website

I'm thinking the best way forward is to go ahead and use either an elapsed seconds counter, or the calendar RTC. Either way, I will probably have to access multiple registers in a cycle, because:

-for elapsed timers, they usually have four 8-bit registers to hold the total elapsed seconds
-for calendar RTCs, I will have to access the year, month, and day of month registers to get a total day count

I think I can do this in one cycle by adding a new clock domain that is a few MHz faster than the system clock. It will need to be clocked fast enough to work in every scenario, but probably no more than 16 MHz, if that?

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-09-02 16:31:54)

#18 2019-09-02 18:47:41

Tauwasser

WeaselBomb wrote:

After researching some of the ASM code for Pokemon Crystal, it seems that when setting the clock, the Hour + Minute values are stored in RAM, not to the actual RTC registers. The timer starts when the clock is set. Then, on every frame, the timer is latched and added to the Hour + Minute values in RAM to give the current time. I believe the day counter increments after 24 elapsed hours, NOT at midnight (unless the clock was started at midnight).
In this sense, the timer can be thought of as elapsed time, not current time.

For Pokemon Crystal, I think elapsed time gets stored in the following registers on every frame:
FF8D: HiDays
FF8E: Days
FF8F: Hours
FF90: Minutes
FF91: Seconds

The first time the timer is started, it starts all registers = 00. Pretty normal, but what's interesting is that starting a new game and setting the clock does NOT reset the timer. Setting the clock through the debug menu on the title screen also does NOT reset the timer.
I'm thinking the only way the game could know the day of the week is to offset the starting day of the week with the day counter. But since the day of week should update at midnight, I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's correct. Basically, Pokémon stores a relative offset to RTC time and updates it when starting the game up. It would take too much time to constantly read the RTC registers. Some games even use it to only keep time when the gameboy is off and rely on counting frames/interrupts for their actual time progression.

WeaselBomb wrote:

I'm thinking the best way forward is to go ahead and use either an elapsed seconds counter, or the calendar RTC. Either way, I will probably have to access multiple registers in a cycle, because:

-for elapsed timers, they usually have four 8-bit registers to hold the total elapsed seconds
-for calendar RTCs, I will have to access the year, month, and day of month registers to get a total day count

I think I can do this in one cycle by adding a new clock domain that is a few MHz faster than the system clock. It will need to be clocked fast enough to work in every scenario, but probably no more than 16 MHz, if that?

Seems reasonable, but you probably want to synchronize with the RTC regularly, so you don't have to start the reads when the register is accessed, but simply synchronize a set of internal registers. Depends on the CPLD, though, I presume.

#19 2019-09-03 14:58:12

WeaselBomb
Website

Tauwasser wrote:

Yeah, that's correct. Basically, Pokémon stores a relative offset to RTC time and updates it when starting the game up. It would take too much time to constantly read the RTC registers. Some games even use it to only keep time when the gameboy is off and rely on counting frames/interrupts for their actual time progression.

This makes me wonder if I could just use the [Day Of Week] register on a calendar RTC as the day counter for Pokemon G/S/C. Harvest Moon might even work! I'm not sure what else the day counter gets used for in those games.
Of course, that wouldn't be true MBC3 implementation, but it's an interesting idea!

Initially, I was thinking about not having any internal RTC registers, since most calendar RTCs have their own latch registers. I'm not sure if the RTC chip would work being latched every other frame, though...most devices that I've seen require unlatching for at least 1 second before latching again.

If I went with internal registers, I'm unsure of how I would synchronize them. Would I just increment both the RTC and the internal registers using the same crystal? Or maybe use a counter to retrieve updates at regular intervals?

*EDIT:
Maybe I was wrong about the calendar RTC latch timing. One of the devices I am considering (DS1501) says:

Transfers are halted when a 0 is written to the TE bit. Setting TE to 0 halts updates to the user-accessible registers, while allowing the internal registers to
advance. After the registers are read, the TE bit should be written to 1. TE must be kept at 1 for at least 366µs to ensure a user register update.

This might work, as I highly doubt any game latches the clock more frequently than 366µs.
I believe Pokemon latches the RTC 15 times per second, or every .0667 seconds. That's about 67 milliseconds, which is way longer than the required 366µs.

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-09-04 15:24:32)

#20 2019-09-10 13:09:52

WeaselBomb
Website

Currently waiting to get paid so I can get some parts for prototyping. Traditionally, I've always used sockets to attach a surface mount part to my breadboard. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the correct QFP sockets to hold the CPLDs I want. Proto-Advantage offers pre-assembled prototype parts, but they aren't too cheap. Still, the price is ok with me, since I won't have to assemble it myself and risk messing it up. The RTC device is available in DIP format already, so that's good.

EDIT: received the RTC chip today. Now just waiting on the CPLD socket to arrive. Everything should be here on Monday.

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-09-17 23:32:49)

#21 2019-09-26 21:26:05

WeaselBomb
Website

OK, socket has been here for a few days, but I've been working serious overtime and have just now gotten back to work on this.

First things first, this socket is NOT what I was expecting, or wanting. It's built for the correct package, QFP-64, but it's incompatible with breadboards! The only way I was able to connect this thing to my breadboard is to literally run 64 jumper wires from the socket to the breadboard, defeating the entire purpose! I ended up with this monstrosity:

https://i.imgur.com/6Vcubt0m.jpg

That's a lot of wires, and I haven't even installed the RAM yet!
I'm not sure how this socket could benefit anyone, since the purpose of a socket is to be inserted into a breadboard. I guess they expect you to buy/make some kind of adapter?

I decided to return to my original plan, which is to buy a pre-assembled breakout board from Proto-Advantage. For the third time, my debit card was declined! This time, I got an email from my bank, warning me of 'suspicious debit card activity'. After calling them and jumping through hoops, I was FINALLY able to buy from Proto-Advantage! Not sure how long it will take, but it's worth the wait. Especially compared to this disaster of a socket.

For what it's worth, I was able to program the CPLD after wiring everything up. I would still have to wire up a lot more connections before anything can be tested, so now I will wait for the breakout board to arrive before I continue.

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-09-26 23:40:50)

#22 2019-10-05 19:35:30

WeaselBomb
Website

Package from Proto-Advantage came in yesterday, so I finally have a CPLD breakout board. I got it plugged into the breadboard, and it programs beautifully without all those extra wires. Time to finish up wiring and start some tests.

-32 KB games read, write, and play just fine.
-Having problems with Super Mario Land. It flashes perfectly, but goes to a white screen after the boot screen. Since 32 KB games work fine, I'm thinking this means there's an issue with bank switching.

*EDIT:

Or, I just had something mis-wired. Oops...but on the bright side, Super Mario Land is running!
https://i.imgur.com/oITfTygm.jpg

*EDIT 2:

Pokemon Blue is running, but RAM access isn't glitch free yet. I'm using an FRAM chip, so I'm sure it's a problem with my RAM_CS signal.

*EDIT 3:

I think Pokemon Blue is good now, along with RAM accesses.
https://i.imgur.com/12P19iVm.jpg

Code:

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;

entity MBCx_src is
    Port
    (
        CLK            : in std_logic;
        ADDR            : in std_logic_vector(15 downto 12);
        DATA            : inout std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
        -- RD                : in std_logic;
        WR                : in std_logic;
        CS                : in std_logic;
        RAM_CS        : out std_logic;
        AA                : out std_logic_vector(16 downto 13);
        RA                : out std_logic_vector(22 downto 14);
        RESET            : in std_logic
    );
end MBCx_src;

architecture Behavioral of MBCx_src is

--Registers
        signal RamEnableReg    : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);
        signal RomBankLoReg    : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
        signal RomBankHiReg    : std_logic;
        signal RamBankReg        : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);

signal RamEnableClk    : std_logic;
        signal RomBankLoClk    : std_logic;
        signal RomBankHiClk    : std_logic;
        signal RamBankClk        : std_logic;

begin

RAM_CS <=
    '0' when (CS = '0' and ADDR(14) = '0' and RamEnableReg = "1010" and CLK = '0')
    else '1';

RA(22) <= 
    '0' when (ADDR(14) = '0' or RESET = '0')
    else RomBankHiReg;

RA(21 downto 14) <= 
    "00000000" when (ADDR(14) = '0' or RESET = '0')
    else RomBankLoReg when (RomBankLoReg /= "00000000")
    else "00000001";

AA(16 downto 13) <=
    "0000" when (ADDR(14) = '0')
    else RamBankReg;

RamEnableClk <=
    '0' when (ADDR(15 downto 13) = "000" and WR = '0')
    else '1';

RomBankLoClk <=
    '0' when (ADDR = "0010" and WR = '0')
    else '1';

RomBankHiClk <=
    '0' when (ADDR = "0011" and WR = '0')
    else '1';

RamBankClk <=
    '0' when (ADDR(15 downto 13) = "010" and WR = '0')
    else '1';

--Register Functions
RamEnable : process(RESET, RamEnableClk)
begin
    if(RESET = '0') then
        RamEnableReg <= "0000";
    elsif(rising_edge(RamEnableClk)) then
        RamEnableReg <= DATA(3 downto 0);
    end if;
end process RamEnable;

RomBankLo : process(RESET, RomBankLoClk)
begin
    if(RESET = '0') then
        RomBankLoReg <= "00000000";
    elsif(rising_edge(RomBankLoClk)) then
        RomBankLoReg <= DATA;
    end if;
end process RomBankLo;

RomBankHi : process(RESET, RomBankHiClk)
begin
    if(RESET = '0') then
        RomBankHiReg <= '0';
    elsif(rising_edge(RomBankHiClk)) then
        RomBankHiReg <= DATA(0);
    end if;
end process RomBankHi;

RamBank : process(RESET, RamBankClk)
begin
    if(RESET = '0') then
        RamBankReg <= "0000";
    elsif(rising_edge(RamBankClk)) then
        RamBankReg <= DATA(3 downto 0);
    end if;
end process RamBank;

end Behavioral;

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-10-06 02:13:45)

#23 2019-10-06 17:32:59

Tauwasser

Hey WeaselBomb, great progress!

I think you tried to make an MBC5 clone, correct?

You only check A14 and #CS for RAM access. That's a bit unorthodox, as all official mappers check for ADDR(15 downto 13) = "101".
Your zero-adjust logic for RA(21 downto 14) isn't actually necessary for MBC5, as it does allow ROM bank 0x00 to be mapped to 0x4000-0x7FFF. However, it is necessary for MBC1 compatibility.
Since you have dedicated AA pins, it seems unnecessary to switch them constantly. Also, you switch them to "0000" in case SRAM is being accessed, that's probably an error.
In case you want to have MBC1 compatibility, you would need to switch them to "0000" for all accesses where #CS = '1' and MBC1 mode is 16 MBit ROM or #RESET = '0'.

Congratulations on getting the FRAM to work properly. Other people try it as well and apparently ran into timing issues with some newer FRAM chips.

Regards,

Tauwasser

#24 2019-10-06 20:33:39

WeaselBomb
Website

Yes, I was going to start with MBC5, but my end goal is MBC 1-5 support with RTC. I threw in the zero-adjust logic for now so I could test Super Mario Land.

I don't remember what I was thinking with the RAM_CS logic. I think I noticed on your MBC1 wiki, you only used #CS and A14? I've heard the only other time that #CS is asserted is for internal RAM access, no idea if that's true though.
Basically, I imagined you could use either:
- A(15 downto 13) = "101"
- CS = '0' and A14 = '0'
But I guess the safest would be using A15-13 and CS.

Yes, the AA pin logic is definitely an error. I must have gotten lucky with Pokemon Blue, but Silver is crashing during a RAM access I think.
After setting AA <= RamBankReg, Silver stopped crashing. I'll have to do more testing, but it's looking good.

I guess I'm about ready to add in the RTC chip and start beating my head against a wall.

Last edited by WeaselBomb (2019-10-06 20:58:42)

#25 2019-10-07 15:28:06

Tauwasser

You're correct, I misremembered. Maybe it's only the later models that do it that way? Or maybe it's wrong altogether...

Good luck with the RTC chip. How full is your CPLD now? And which CPLD did you go for anyway. The XC2C128 has 128 pins, but you use a 64 pin socket, I think.

Board footer