Welcome to the GBDev Wiki.
About the GBDev Wiki
The GBDev Wiki is an effort to collect and systemize information about the Gameboy-Z80, its hardware, tools for software development, perhaps example source code, and serve as a reference for people who might be interested in Gameboy software development and hardware modification. The information is out there. But as I see it there are a couple of problems that with the fact that the information i scattered over the internet.
- It might be hard to find some of the more obscure information. Having the information in a Wiki will make it more readily accessible for those who might search for it.
- Most information on the net is not editable. By putting this information in a Wiki, anyone can contribute to the information.
- As time passes by, some information will vanish, because people who used to develop for and document the old Gameboy models will probably have forgotten their passwords/not care about their old web space accounts, etc. I will guarantee that he information in this Wiki will survive many years to come.
Therefore, I believe a Wiki is a good format for the information.
What goes into the wiki?
- Technical documents that exist as text documents should be converted to Wiki formatted pages.
- Emulators, debuggers, compilers and other tools should have their own page with a short description. If applicable, screenshots and other useful information should exist on the same page.
- Hardware information, such as schematics, pinouts and other information. One problem here is that I have a limited space so, adding too many images will make me run out of space. Using free image hosts is not a good option either, since they will sooner or later expire, and thus it is counter-productive to the mission of this Wiki.
Games- This is not a game database, alas no (commercial) games should be added. If information about a game is added, there should be a good reason. A couple of possible exceptions: Pocket Music, Gameboy Camera, documentation of games that are using interestig programming techniques.
What about the structure?
Here are some suggestions of article series:
- Gameboy models (Where each model )
I expect most information added to this Wiki to be implicitely or explicitely in the public domain, or being an original creation for the Wiki. But nveretheless, I want all information to have a source However, if in doubt whether to add a certain piece of information, ask me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.