Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2008-03-07 22:36:44

Awol
Website

Tilt Sensor

Look what I found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zU9OgxO … re=related

I've never seen that mod before. It's on a GBC, but I assume it could be done with a DMG. I suppose it's a kind of fun mod, but not very useful to most people. Although, when I do that 5th channel ring modulator project, I could use this to turn the Game Boy itself into a foot-controlled pedal, or to just add a separate foot pedal that plugs in.

Last edited by Awol (2008-03-07 22:41:40)

Formerly Grey_and_Purple.

#2 2008-03-08 22:01:24

nitro2k01
Administrator

Re: Tilt Sensor

It seems a bit limited though. It seems like it can only detect tilted to the left, tilted to the right, neutral. As it is wired there, it trigs the GB buttons. So no fine tuned read out of values. (Unless the acidmods kit has hidden possibilities)
Having a guitar pedal consisting of a grey brick would so totally rock in one way (Cool concept) but suck in another way (Waste of a perfectly working brick, you'd have to step on it)

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"
Old Chinese Proverb

#3 2008-03-09 00:27:00

Awol
Website

The video shows it tilting up and down as well (not just left and right), but yeah, fine tuning would be a problem. Also, I suppose it would be a problem if the pedal wasn't placed on a level surface. There must be a better way to do it that doesn't rely on gravity.

I thought about the problem of stepping on the brick, but DMGs are remarkably sturdy, and it's not like I'd be stomping on it. It probably is more practical to have the Game Boy placed on a table and have a separate pedal on the floor plugged into it, so you could use your feet and hands and still see the screen, but having a compact, all-in-one DMG pedal would indeed be a cool concept. I could probably do something where the DMG can be either inserted-into/attached-to the pedal to become part of it, or removed from the pedal and connected remotely with a cable. Then you could have it both ways, whichever way you felt like at the moment.

Formerly Grey_and_Purple.

#4 2008-04-13 18:54:28

Lamarre

I've looked around in search for this tutorial and as the guy says it, its on Acidmods.com...
Here's the links to the tutorials...

http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=16800.0
http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=1416.0

But as you see in the tutorial, it's only a controller, a tilting D-pad...

but DMGs are remarkably sturdy

Hell yeah, I droped mine thounsand of times and once the glasse got off but didn't break, glued it back and my GB still work fine... At the time people weren't selling crap...

Board footer