Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-07 05:53:03

danthai

Help with Assembly on MAC 10.9

Hey. I just joined the forum. Looks like a great little community you have here.

I'm keen to get involved with developing some GB games and so far I've got the no$gmb emulator running on my mac using wine to get to running. This is all great.

I've been following the tutorials of the Wichita State University’s 2008 Z80 Assembler Programming lecture (http://cratel.wichita.edu/cratel/ECE238 … Setup#OS_X) which are quite useful, especially if you're running Windows. I'm having trouble however getting my hello-world to assemble on mac.

I've got rgbds set up and if I type "asm/rgbasm hello-world.asm" into terminal it appears to assemble correctly but I need to get the second part of linking and then fixing the build so it spits out a .gb file to happen.

I have also followed the directions given on this page http://38leinad.wordpress.com/2012/03/0 … n-mac-os-x which enabled me to get as far as I have but unfortunately it appears to stop short of explaining how to actually assemble your code. This is where I am stuck at.

There's a window's useful BAT file included in the tutorial notes (on that link above) that combines all 3 stages of this assembly but nothing for a mac to do the same. I'm a bit ropey when it comes to converting bat files to mac friendly so I was wondering if anyone on this forum is developing on a mac and can point me in the right direction or explain how they are able to assemble their code?

Just to clarify I have no trouble running the emulator, or installing rgbds. Just assembly my code successfully.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Last edited by danthai (2014-09-07 05:54:54)

#2 2014-09-07 06:01:13

danthai

Re: Help with Assembly on MAC 10.9

Right, it looks like someone on this forum managed to get everything working by using GBDK and a patch to run with Mac. I have been using rgbds and wine to run the emulator. I may look into GBDK to see if I'm any more successful with that setup.

#3 2014-09-07 11:46:56

danthai

I've got it assembling! Hurrah! Out the house now. Will update this thread with the solution if anyone is interested tomorrow.

#4 2014-09-08 06:19:32

danthai

So I got this working by following this tutorial by MariusGames : http://mariusgames.com/post/53850419194 … ompiler-in

I recommend it highly. It's very simple to follow and works well.

Board footer