Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2015-04-22 02:27:50

random_dave

Tile editors for non-windows systems

Hi all,

I'm just starting my first gameboy project (a port of an Atari 2600 homebrew game) and I typically use Linux on my laptops for coding (albeit with a final compile for psp and dreamcast on windows)

I'm wondering if there's anyone that uses a good tile editor on Linux, I had found one but it was built against very old gtk libraries that was making it difficult to compile on a modern system

I really like GBTD, but my computers/laptops running windows aren't as nice for coding as my main linux machines

Should I just run that in Wine? or is there something else you can recommend?

If there was, would anyone be interested in an SD card image for the raspberry pi that has a nicely packaged gameboy suite of tools for a one-stop solution from planning, bug tracking, source control, art, toolchain, documentation etc

#2 2015-04-22 06:30:20

AntonioND
Website

Re: Tile editors for non-windows systems

I suppose you are talking about PPM, right? I managed to compile that in Windows a few years ago, but I didn't like how it works.

GBTD and GBMB work fine in Wine, I use them.

Also, if you are looking for an emulator, BGB works in Wine too.

The problem is that you can't run Wine in a Raspberry Pi because it has an ARM CPU. You'd need other tools for that.

#3 2015-04-23 16:46:37

random_dave

yeah, I can't imagine that even on the new one it would run qemu fast enough to make even a windows 98 environment particularly snappy, there's delphi source code for gbtd, but i can't imagine that it's particularly fun to try and compile that

#4 2015-04-25 08:29:53

a cat

if you use virtualbox 4.1
you can emulate even win 7 very well

but these tools should not have to be run using crappy proprietary operating systems

can you compile GBTD and GBMB on gnu/linux?

a cat in need of knowledge!!

Board footer