Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2015-04-29 07:27:07

Tronimal

Software/Cartridge Question

Hello GameBoy Devers!

I'm really new to GameBoy Programming and i just wrote a small Visual GameBoy ROM some weeks ago.

I used GBDK to compile and it all worked fine in the BGB Emulator.
I decided to make a small ROM and put it on a 256kb prom cartridge from kitsch bent.
Before i ordered this one I decided to test it on an EMS 64 Cart. But... it didn't work on a GameBoy DMG 01 (Classic). It worked fine on every other Console. I tested Pocket, Color and Advance SP.
I usually wanted to use my Software on a Super GameBoy, so I decided to order my software although.

It arrived some days ago and (yesterday) I tested on a GameBoy Classic and "Surprise, Suprise!"... it workes fine!

So here's my question to you!
Why does it work on an emulator and on the prom cart, but not on EMS64? Any Ideas? Any known diffrences?

Maybe this is a stupid question. I'm sorry for that. But I'm a total programming noob!

(PS: Sorry for my bad english, I'm not a native english speaker)

Thanks in advance!
Jörg (-> Tronimal)

#2 2015-04-29 15:03:55

Tauwasser

Re: Software/Cartridge Question

Are you taking the EMS64 mapper into account? There are some known flaws with its MBC5 emulation. Part of MBC5 behaves like MBC1 with regards to zero-adjustment of the rom bank and banking modes, IIRC.

cYa,

Tauwasser

#3 2015-04-29 15:29:07

Tronimal

Thanks for the advice.

I thought it could have something to do with the different banks, just because I didn't fully understand how this works.

Now I know what I'm going to learn more about next.

#4 2015-05-25 04:02:58

Tronimal

I found out that there are some Options while Compiling in GBDK.
You can write -Wl-yt0x00 for ROM -Wl-yt0x01 for ROM + MBC1, or -Wl-yt0x1A for ROM + MBC5 + RAM.
(For example, it would look like: "lcc -wl-yt0x01 -o game.gb main.c")

I also managed bank switching now. smile

Board footer