Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-09 06:59:35

Glad
Website

Make it rain !

Hi people !

So I start a new game project called "Walking under the rain". I have nearly finished all the graphism and I start to think about the code.

The thing is that in this game ( As you've probably guess...) there will be rain. And heres my problem : I have no idea how to animate rain...

Should I use sprites for each drop of rain or include the rain directly in the background and refresh the background 5 times per second ?

(And by the way, I really suck at ASM so I want to do it in C but I don't know if GBDK could handle it...)

Thank you !

Another boring artist.

Current software project --> Walking under the rain (GB)
Current hardware project --> GlitchBoy

#2 2015-11-09 09:51:45

Xephyr

Re: Make it rain !

The Gameboy can only handle 40 sprites (or 80 in 8*16 mode if I'm not wrong), so if you want to put a lot of rain, you'll probably run out of space (considering there's also sprites used for MC and NPCs).
GBDK can for sure handle the suggested refresh rate, but depending on what result you're aiming for, ASM could be a better way of implementing it.

Anyway, you should really think about the code on the same time you're working on your graphics (or even before) next time.

#3 2015-11-09 11:27:56

Glad
Website

Re: Make it rain !

The thing is that I only got one character to display ( constitued of 2 8*16 sprites ) and only half of the background will scroll. So I will maybe got enough space for rain...

Here's what it looks like :

https://imageshack.com/a/img911/1082/RfrR6J.png

Another boring artist.

Current software project --> Walking under the rain (GB)
Current hardware project --> GlitchBoy

Board footer