Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2017-05-20 20:26:13

Alexander the bat

ZGB: Great for Puzzle Games like Dr Mario and maybe Bomberman clones?

Could I use ZGB for a puzzle games like Dr. Mario? I can basically get the mapping in of the level but I was thinking the checkers can change color if I can program that in I'm wondering if I can write out a simple Dr Mario Like engine code named Headache with ZGB and use it's color version too (as this is universal anyway), so can this be used for headache to make simple one mapped puzzle game like Dr mario?

I would try to this first then going to the complex stuff as I don't know how much space this game will need so I'm basically can code until I feel it's enough code to make a decent sized game.

Also is this also great for a Bomberman clone game too, using the ZGB Engine as well? if so I'm gonna build two games with ZGB engine!

Last edited by Alexander the bat (2017-05-20 20:27:47)

#2 2017-05-23 01:49:59

Zalo
Website

Re: ZGB: Great for Puzzle Games like Dr Mario and maybe Bomberman clones?

I am not sure ZGB is good for a game like Dr Mario. It doesn't have scroll, doesn't need the kind of collisions ZGB manages, also as far as I know Dr Mario doesn't use sprites, it painst everything directly in the background...
A game like bomberman is more appropiate but as commented in another thread, changings in the backgrounds are still not implemented and that is an important part of bomberman games

Also, please, stop creating threads about ZGB. These questions should be posted on the engine thread

Board footer