Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-15 16:51:38

eptheca

DMG power options

For the same case mod I'm going for an external power, because there's not enough "space in the case"
I have made a battery pack with 4xAA batteries that I will use, byt it would be good to haven the oportunity to use a DC converter as well.
Is it any differnece in conecting the external power to the DC in socket, or the battery poles?
I have read that there is a extra noise from the DC socket. Does anybody know anything about this?
I guess I could have two power sockets, one to the battery poles, and one to the DC socket, but then I also need a switch to switch off the DC power when not in use.
Great with any comments on this.

#2 2009-06-17 16:52:40

nitro2k01
Administrator

Re: DMG power options

The Gameboy's own DC/DC converter accept a pretty wide range of input voltage, maybe from 4 V up to 6.5 V. Using a 5 V supply will work perfectly, but 9 V is way too much! There is no difference between the connecting power to the battery as opposed to connecting it to the DC socket. The DC jack has a bypass switch so the battery power is disconnected if you connect external power. You should not connect a DC socket so that it might be connected directly to the batteries, as this might explode them. Use a DC jack of standard size instead for better compatibility. Preferably with a bypass function so you can connect the batteries.

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"
Old Chinese Proverb

Board footer