Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2022-09-04 12:15:57

chris
Website

I think we should link to the Discord

Since hardly anyone visits this site any more, I think we should link to the Gameboy Development Forum discord page which is way more active.
People sign up here and then wonder where everyone is: They're at the discord.

BTW, I'm working on a new game called Frank the Fruit Fly.
http://atari2600land.com/gameboy/ftff.html

My avatar is from Nintendo Power. I miss those days, so I decided to bring them back.

#2 2022-09-04 13:32:20

nitro2k01
Administrator

Re: I think we should link to the Discord

Hi. First off, this forum is run independently from the Discord and GB Dev organization (gbdev.io). Those things are linked from the front page of this site, ie without the /forums/ part of the URL. I'm still holding out hope that some people will use the forum. Which surprisingly, people do. For a niche backwater forum it's kind of amazing that it still gets maybe a couple of posts per week on average.

And here's my problem with Discord. Since the Discord is a chat platform and not a forum platform, any information older than a few days becomes basically hidden. It's not organized into threads, and it's not publicly indexed by a search engine. What often happens is that you remember that someone said something a while ago, and maybe you'll make the effort to go search for it using Discord's search function. Or maybe you don't and it keep collecting dust in Discord's archive never to be looked upon again. Which is why I plan to keep the forum running indefinitely, to keep whatever information that's available here accessible.

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"
Old Chinese Proverb

#3 2022-10-05 21:34:19

M2m

Re: I think we should link to the Discord

nitro2k01 wrote:

And here's my problem with Discord. Since the Discord is a chat platform and not a forum platform, any information older than a few days becomes basically hidden. It's not organized into threads, and it's not publicly indexed by a search engine.

Fully agree with the above. I kind of enjoy chatting on Discord but its a pity that lots of useful info will be lost in there.

Board footer