Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2024-04-03 05:55:27

PandaSD

How do i make a flashcartridge with a microsd card like the ez flash-

-omega?

I’ve tried to read the pandocs, but they only specify about dmg, gbp and gbc, but i’m looking for gba. I have a general idea of how its going to work, but i don’t know how to output to the pins correctly and stuff.

Thank you

#2 2024-04-03 23:15:29

nitro2k01
Administrator

Re: How do i make a flashcartridge with a microsd card like the ez flash-

They don't remotely use the same protocol, so you need some kind of interface logic between them. You would typically use a FPGA for this, which you can program in a language like VHDL or Verilog. You want an interface where you send reads and writes from the Gameboy, and it's converted to the protocol that the SD card is using. You would then probably write some kind of program that loads a ROM from the SD card and loads it onto a flash chip so you can run it. It's not a trivial thing to do.

Blog: Gameboy Genius
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step"
Old Chinese Proverb

#3 2024-04-04 03:28:01

PandaSD

Re: How do i make a flashcartridge with a microsd card like the ez flash-

nitro2k01 wrote:

They don't remotely use the same protocol, so you need some kind of interface logic between them. You would typically use a FPGA for this, which you can program in a language like VHDL or Verilog. You want an interface where you send reads and writes from the Gameboy, and it's converted to the protocol that the SD card is using. You would then probably write some kind of program that loads a ROM from the SD card and loads it onto a flash chip so you can run it. It's not a trivial thing to do.

Wow, that is a lot of work. More than i was expecting, but i still want to. Any docs i could read to get started?

Board footer