Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-26 11:55:33

drev

common tile in multiple png using png2asset

Hello,

using png2asset, how would you handle generating levels from multiple png with common tiles ?

As an example: I am trying to generate super mario land maps from pngs
for example https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_ … heet/3822/ and https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_ … heet/3823/

some tiles are common to these two maps: coin, clouds tile and some bricks
I isolated these tiles in a png, then I converted this png to tile data using png2asset, theses tiles data is loaded at a specific location in the rom

Of course just export as usual to tileset and background data level 1-1 and level 1-2 separatly works but:

* there are some duplicate tiles in the generated tile data
* the indexes of duplicate tiles are differants for each map, and I use this index to check the type of tile for collision/gameplay

Can png2asset be aware of this 'common tiles' tileset when generating tilesets and background data from two pngs ?
If not, do such a feature be useful to be added in png2asset ?
I am sure I am not the first one to have stepped upon this problem, what is the 'common way' to handle this ?

#2 2024-05-04 04:55:29

toxa

Re: common tile in multiple png using png2asset

drev wrote:

Can png2asset be aware of this 'common tiles' tileset when generating tilesets and background data from two pngs ?

what you describe is -source_tileset <filename.png> feature. you can pass multiple of those.

#3 Yesterday 03:17:33

drev

Re: common tile in multiple png using png2asset

Thank you, I thought only one where allowed. I will try that whenever I can

Board footer