Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2015-08-22 19:17:25

ek82

Building my own GB cart

So I wrote my first GB game and was interested in transferring it onto a dedicated cart, not to a flash cart.

Since I'm new to the hardware side of things, can anyone comment on going this direction:

prom cart at kitsch bent

There is an option to buy the PCB with socket and eprom. So then would I just need to program the eprom and solder it in?

I was looking at this for the eprom programmer:

Amazon prom programmer

Really interested in hearing about your experiences doing this and what you recommend in retrospect.

Thanks

Last edited by ek82 (2015-08-22 19:27:20)

#2 2015-08-22 20:30:46

Scazon
Website

Re: Building my own GB cart

I would actually love some more info on this as well. From my understanding, the kitsch bent carts are good for 32kb roms that don't use multiple memory banks and no save batteries. I haven't tried getting a cart from them because all my games use multiple memory banks so I assumed they won't work.

I also tried this tutorial on trying to salvage an old cart (one that already has a memory controller on it), and my experience was this: http://imgur.com/a/9FSdR

In other words, it was *very* tedious to solder all the tiny wires and solder pads into place, and even then, I don't know what went wrong because the game didn't work. It gets to the Nintendo logo and then crashes. It could be my soldering job that's wrong, could be the EPROM that didn't get programmed correctly, could be anything.... so I'm looking for other alternatives tongue

#3 2015-10-07 21:45:21

Crona
Website

That programmer is garbage, I got it a year ago and it will not write anything.

#4 2015-10-23 10:42:00

bokny

any idea whats going on here? looks quite simple
https://youtu.be/bE9CHTJSt2Q
i presume its only 32kb and no save though

Board footer