Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2016-07-26 15:45:51

Zalo
Website

Pretty Princess' Castle Escape - classic platformer for the Game Boy

Hello everyone

I'd like to show you a game we have developed for the Game Boy. It was originally developed for the Bit Bit Jam 3 this year but after the deadline we have been still working on it and finally have released a final version

You can download it from http://gamejolt.com/games/pretty-prince … ape/161880 or play it direclty on the same page (I recommend downloading it)

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-81PGsEIXlIg/V5b8GveZsGI/AAAAAAAAjhc/50Go8tcFvM4ziE8x3BPIHb5nsT7AL_RgACLcB/s1600/bgb00003.bmp https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mWCHbeFka_s/V5b8HcPG5xI/AAAAAAAAjhg/4fL3Ix0ObxIxE9Jf40nOdf-PeszrmJgOQCLcB/s1600/bgb00002.bmp https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C_vCFvK8taY/V5b8H45EgGI/AAAAAAAAjhk/L4bO3OKofzsDEZfnY8gyWKBmsFDbj_A_wCLcB/s1600/bgb00004.bmp

The source code is also available here if someone wants to take a look. Some of the features implemented are:
- 4 directional scroll
- Collisions sprite vs sprite and sprite vs map
- Sprites pool
- optimized main loop
- Bank management system
- General usage makefile

I hope you enjoy it

#2 2016-07-27 10:54:14

holtkamp
Website

Re: Pretty Princess' Castle Escape - classic platformer for the Game Boy

This is awesome!! The blood splatter animation after you kill an enemy is so satisfying haha. Also the game is very hard.  I saw one of your commits was "creating the hardest level you have seen in your life" and i believe it lol. I'm having trouble on level 2.

The 4 direction scroll is impressive. How did you do it? I'm writing a game in assembly and i just barely have enough time in vblank to stream in a single row (or column) of map tiles, do sprite DMA, and update the scrollx/y registers. I think in C i wouldn't have enough time to do all that.

#3 2016-07-28 07:27:29

rychan
Website

Heyy, that's cool that you've updated it post-jam, I'll have a play on it tonight for sure!

#4 2016-07-31 11:37:54

Zalo
Website

holtkamp wrote:

The 4 direction scroll is impressive. How did you do it? I'm writing a game in assembly and i just barely have enough time in vblank to stream in a single row (or column) of map tiles, do sprite DMA, and update the scrollx/y registers. I think in C i wouldn't have enough time to do all that.

You can check what I am doing on my scroll class here. There are two versions of my scroll update functions for rows and columns. One of them updates the whole row or column in the same update and the other one updates only 5 tiles and then the next 5 on the next iteration and so on
I didn't really see to much improvement doing this (just a little bit) but probably what really improved the overall speed of everything is my main loop. I have just published a small post talking about this if you are interested

rychan wrote:

Heyy, that's cool that you've updated it post-jam, I'll have a play on it tonight for sure!

Good to see you here big_smile I hope you like the things we have changed

#5 2016-08-02 13:31:30

bbsfoo

very good

#6 2016-08-03 10:22:09

Tag365

Your game looks and plays great. Nice work.

Board footer