Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2016-08-11 15:46:47

Calindro

Preferred Assembler

Hi guys,

I've already asked this in here but I'm not sure if it even gets read there so now I'll ask in a dedicated thread.

What is the preferred assembler? From reading a bit in here I got the impression that it's RGBDS.
Is this the case or is WLA-DX similarly popular for GB development as RGBDS?

Last edited by Calindro (2016-08-11 15:47:00)

#2 2016-08-11 16:08:34

DonaldHays
Website

Re: Preferred Assembler

I don't have any popularity figures, only my own anecdotal experience, but I think RGBDS is more popular.

As I was learning to program GB, more material seemed to be written for RGBDS. That may be influenced by the fact that—as far as I can tell—RGBDS is older, and much of the material you learn from even today is similarly old (I've read much material from the late 90s/early 2000s). That was a big motivator in my decision to use RGBDS over WLA-DX. This relatively recent tutorial series uses RGBDS, as does this one (though interestingly enough that blog has another version of the same tutorial for yet another assembler: Wiz). Also, there's a popular disassembly out there of cough a major Game Boy RPG that I shall neither name nor link to here out of an abundance of caution to try to remain above water, and it's meant to be recompiled with RGBDS.

Last edited by DonaldHays (2016-08-11 16:09:06)

#3 2016-08-11 16:30:37

Calindro

Hi DonaldHays,

thanks for your quick reply! (I guess you never saw my other post?)
Alright then so I guess I should definitely work on support for RGBDS syntax in my disassembler. smile
I'm afraid there's no resource that points out the differences between RGBDS and WLA-DX...
Can you point me to any table or similar resource for RGBDS syntax?

Oh and btw. is there any preferred naming convention for ports?
I mean something like

Code:

.define Port_Joypad $00
.define Port_LY $44

#4 2016-08-11 16:42:48

DonaldHays
Website

Well there's this documentation for RGBDS syntax, but I don't know of anything that documents the exact differences between RGBDS and WLA-DX. For naming standards, I haven't seen anything suggesting any sort of standard that the community has arrived on, so if I was writing a disassembler I would probably just try to take inspiration from as much precedent as possible. There's a lot of old code samples and libraries available, including a common hardware define file.

#5 2016-08-11 17:14:06

Calindro

Great, this is what I was looking for! Thanks!

#6 2016-08-11 19:00:38

l0k1

There's also gbasm. Not sure if anyone uses it.

Also, there are more up-to-date docs for RGBDS here in the Bentley RGBDS github repo.

Board footer