Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2019-07-11 13:43:04

gbjosh

RPS

EDIT: Currently reworking things and redoing a lot of graphics. Will post an update soon.

Last edited by gbjosh (2019-11-12 13:15:47)

#2 2019-07-13 16:57:09

AntonioND
Website

Re: RPS

Ok, this is... interesting. xD

#3 2019-07-15 08:03:44

Zalo
Website

Hoping to test it soon smile

#4 2019-07-16 16:30:30

cloudZz

Awesome! Graphics are already great big_smile

#5 2019-08-18 15:03:42

h0tp3ngu1n

I love the idea!

Last edited by h0tp3ngu1n (2019-08-18 15:09:47)

#6 2019-08-26 17:21:32

ISSOtm
Website

The idea sounds nice, except that if battles are entirely random the player will get frustrated very quickly. If enemies have fixed patterns, this instead means that once they are learned the game is trivial to beat.

The French Lord Of Laziness.
Legend of Zelda and Undertale fan, I also tend to break Pokémon R/B/Y a little too much.

Twitter | Me on GCL | Discord : ISSOtm#9015 | Skype : isso.tm (I don't login anymore)

#7 2019-08-26 18:51:54

h0tp3ngu1n

ISSOtm wrote:

except that if battles are entirely random the player will get frustrated very quickly

This was my first thought as well. I'd like to see some decent AI, because a lot of RPS games just make the computer throw randomly which is unpredictable/boring.

Still, I think random could work in a game like this. Because judging from the screenshots and the fact that there's a level-up and item system, I'm guessing that he plans on having more factors in addition to the standard "rock crushes scissors, scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock" rule. Presumably you'll deal a variable amount of damage to your opponent each time you throw a winning throw, so depending on your stats it would still be possible to win even if you get unlucky, or lose even if you get lucky.

If enemies have fixed patterns, this instead means that once they are learned the game is trivial to beat.

Another option would be to have a pool of fixed strategies, but have the computer randomly choose one from the pool. That way the player wouldn't be entirely sure which strategy the computer is using during any given match.

But anyway, I'm really looking forward to this. I love RPS and I love RPGs, so this makes for a great combination. And the art is very fitting big_smile

Last edited by h0tp3ngu1n (2019-08-26 18:54:33)

#8 2019-08-27 12:50:27

ISSOtm
Website

The problem here is that RNG plays too much of a role unless it's somehow balanced out (eg. skewing the odds to force both sides to take hits every so often).
If the RNG isn't somehow overridden, it would be possible, even if unlikely, to die to a lv. 1 enemy while yourself lv. 100

Legend of Zelda and Undertale fan, I also tend to break Pokémon R/B/Y a little too much.

Twitter | Me on GCL | Discord : ISSOtm#9015 | Skype : isso.tm (I don't login anymore)

#9 2019-08-27 16:39:32

gbjosh

Hey guys! Thanks for the comments! Some enemies will have tendencies to choose one move over the other. I've been toying with some ideas using items, counters, stat boosts, etc that will help against the randomness of rock paper scissors. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I hope to share more soon.

#10 2019-08-29 04:41:00

cloudZz

h0tp3ngu1n wrote:

ISSOtm wrote:

If enemies have fixed patterns, this instead means that once they are learned the game is trivial to beat.

Another option would be to have a pool of fixed strategies, but have the computer randomly choose one from the pool. That way the player wouldn't be entirely sure which strategy the computer is using during any given match.

I think this might work, but then there might be too little distinction between different enemies (every enemy can use every strategy randomly) and until the right strategy is found the player is again guessing. But I think this could be improved if every enemy type had 2-3 fixed strategies to choose from, then the player can also learn which enemy type uses which strategies.

I have a loose idea for a skill system:
Depending on what you pick each round, you can form "combos", which result in either stat boosts (passive skills) or skills being performed.
For example, maybe choosing "paper paper paper" results in healing yourself, "scissors scissors" doubles ATK once for the next round.
There could also be a skill that inverts RPS, e.g if you choose rock and your opponent paper then you win.
Or some kind of combo breaker skill where you cancel out the opponent's combo.
Or a spy skill that tells you the name of your opponent's current strategy.
One decision to make would be if every combatant can utilize every skill or if there are fixed "equip slots" where you can equip a limited number of them.
You then could learn new skills by buying them or wining duels against specific opponents with a specific skill.
Of course this has potential to become way too complex tongue

Anyway, I really look forward to playing your game!

#11 2019-08-29 15:03:33

ISSOtm
Website

That sounds interesting!

Board footer