Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2019-12-27 13:51:02

jchristof

Correctly writing dynamic vram data

After re-reading some documents, I've just now begun to understand some graphics corruption in my game.

Since I have 32x32 sprites with animations, I've run out of tile space. I have been loading sprite frames and other bg tiles dynamically, but I now see that writing these tiles causes occasional pixel corruption. Until this point I was not trying to work around the mode 3 vram access restriction. Now that I better understand it, I'm wondering if there is a way to work with the issue w/o re-writing or scrapping my current game.

Does anyone have reference to some dynamic tile loading code that they could share?

For instance, when loading single tile data for a dialog sequence, I've inserted some code to wait for mode 3 to complete. It's helped dramatically reduce the corruption, but not completely:
https://imgur.com/a/uWV8U4X

This text is rendered by writing a single font tile at a time to the bg - where those characters are mapped to the dialog area of the window.

Code:

PUSH_BANK(2);
    while((STAT_REG & 0x2) != 0);
    set_bkg_data(currentTile, 1, &(ascii.data->data[((*currentChar)-32)*16]));
    POP_BANK;

So even tho I'm waiting on mode3, apparently during the write, mode3 is blocking vram again.
Any suggestions, pseudo code or references about solving this would be helpful.

#2 2019-12-27 13:57:50

jchristof

Re: Correctly writing dynamic vram data

Also, I just now inspected the assembly in gbdk's libc file set_data.s - It appears to be accounting for mode 3 already as a built-in feature of set_bkg_data:

Code:

_set_bkg_data::
_set_win_data::
4$:
    LDH    A,(.STAT)
    AND    #0x02
    JR    NZ,4$

now I'm confused

Board footer