Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#1 2020-07-03 22:47:30

Matt

Is the BGB emulator accurate to the Gameboy performance-wise?

In other words... if my rom runs smoothly on the emulator, does it mean it'll be as fast on the real thing?

I'm asking because i'm working on a GBDK project and until now I was only runnig my roms on BGB, but when I thought to test it on VisualBoyAdvance I verified that there's a subtle but noticeable lag.

I'm actually on the BGB Emulator home page right now and it says "Because of BGB's high emulation accuracy, if your rom works in BGB, it will most likely work on hardware too". But I wanted to know you guy's opinions. Also I've yet to get a Gameboy and flash cart for myself.

I know i'm supposed to keep my code optimized before encountering performance issues, but i'm new to this thing and i'm still testing the waters here.

Also, I'm Matheus. I'm new (new to this forum, to GBDK, to game making... just new across the board) and i'm building my very first game smile

#2 2020-07-04 02:07:41

toxa

Re: Is the BGB emulator accurate to the Gameboy performance-wise?

yes, BGB is quite accurate. i also recommend you to use gbdk-2020, and also my profiling kit that might help you to find possible performance issues.

#3 2020-07-04 08:46:34

Matt

Re: Is the BGB emulator accurate to the Gameboy performance-wise?

Thanks. I'm currently using gbdk 2020 and i'll check out your piece of code right away.

Last edited by Matt (2020-07-04 08:53:17)

Board footer