Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-01-25 14:40:01

K5T3

Re: Codes for Dumping the BIOS of Super GB, Super GB2, and GBC

I am searching for a programmer to analyze the data of the CPU chip.

Nintendo rules!

#27 2021-01-25 14:48:45

K5T3

However, I am searching for a BIOS programmer to analyze the data of the Game Boy CPU chip.

Nintendo rules!

#28 2021-01-25 18:57:45

AntonioND
Website

Using a generic programmer won't work.

The data bus of the chip is only enabled when accessing external addresses, not when reading the boot ROM.

The only way to dump the ROM that is easy enough for one person is to glitch the clock of the CPU, hope that the CPU lands in some code in your cartridge that saves the ROM to SRAM or something, and then read it from the computer.

Seriously, you are thinking about this in a completely wrong way. The boot ROM is protected. Nintendo doesn't want you to read it. There is no easy way to read it. You need to trick the CPU so that you can read it.

Have you actually read https://www.its.caltech.edu/~costis/sgb_hack/ and understood what it says? If not, give up. The trick is to glitch the CPU so that it skips the instruction that disables the boot ROM, or so that it jumps to some random address and hopefully reaches your code by pure chance.

#29 2021-01-25 23:46:50

K5T3

AntonioND wrote:

Using a generic programmer won't work.

The data bus of the chip is only enabled when accessing external addresses, not when reading the boot ROM.

The only way to dump the ROM that is easy enough for one person is to glitch the clock of the CPU, hope that the CPU lands in some code in your cartridge that saves the ROM to SRAM or something, and then read it from the computer.

Seriously, you are thinking about this in a completely wrong way. The boot ROM is protected. Nintendo doesn't want you to read it. There is no easy way to read it. You need to trick the CPU so that you can read it.

Have you actually read https://www.its.caltech.edu/~costis/sgb_hack/ and understood what it says? If not, give up. The trick is to glitch the CPU so that it skips the instruction that disables the boot ROM, or so that it jumps to some random address and hopefully reaches your code by pure chance.

I understood what I have read so far, but I think that the simplest method of dumping the Game Boy boot ROM is using one wire to hit the Game Boy CPU clock pin. Using the GB-BRK stuff with a bunch of the wires may take a long time to dump the Game Boy boot ROM.

Nintendo rules!

#30 2021-01-27 19:00:25

AntonioND
Website

Yes, it can be enough to use a wire, but that code won't do anything special. If you are going to use the wire system, a simple memcopy from the base of the bios to SRAM is enough to save the contents.

Board footer