Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#51 2009-10-22 05:37:42

BigBadKing

Re: Welcome thread

Im John, from Newyork. i have only afew months of C\C++ experience.
i always wanted to program for the Nintendo Gameboy versions, (GBC,
GBA, etc). i passed the stages of sprites but still working on it, im 18 yrs.
i know Pascal, BASIC, and Java. (plus C and C++). smile

#52 2010-01-11 17:40:26

Technologikall_10

Hi!
I'm still busy getting started with GB Development, but I have done some DS and Wii development.

The reason I wanna do GB Development is because it's retro. I like that from time to time. =P
Also the GB Color makes me feel all warm inside. <3

#53 2011-11-30 23:36:27

t3n

Hello World!

After scouring the web for GB programming sites, I finally stumbled upon the download section of this site.  From there I saw the link to the forums, and here I am.  I've been programming for several years now, and I've finally accumulated enough knowledge to do what got me programming in the first place: making something that I could play on a handheld.

Let's see; what else?  Hrm, I hate skiddies who just want to make games without caring about how everything works, I'm a Linux enthusiast, and I dream in code.  Currently, I'm trying to learn z80 asm.  Besides that, there's not much else.

Last edited by t3n (2011-11-30 23:39:27)

#54 2013-02-24 01:38:24

OscarBraindeaD

Hi all!
After a lot of years without code for the GameBoy family machines I return to it... I've started a little GB classic game to begin, It's a little adaptation of 80's classic RiverRaid. If all goes well in a few days it will be finished and I'll release it here.
Regards and happy coding!

#55 2013-08-27 18:51:26

Synthax

Hi!
My name's Dre, in other GB\C forums I'm known more commonly as 80C.
I'm a hacker mainly of Classic Game Boy Games (GB\C).
I just entered the asm a month ago, I still have a lot to learn but I'm trying to figure it and slowly I'm starting understand it, not so much but it's already something.
Mainly I hack the first 2 generations of pokemon, then I will be less busy I'll try to figure out if I can hack something also on Croc 1 and do some research about it.

#56 2013-12-02 09:22:42

guttula

I'm Juha, a computer science student from Helsinki, Finland.
I have, during the last year, got myself entangled in something. I'm not sure what it is, but it includes Assembly, TI-calculators, Z80, Arcade games, standalone systems, PAL video, Fignition, and the GameBoy. What draws me this way is simplicity, dark magic, and the ability to comprehend a whole system down to the component and byte level.

Gameboy programming (especially in asm) as well as the hardware (possibly only a ROM-chip) has a beautiful minimalist esthetic. Much like hipsters love the value of a physical one-of-a-kind polaroid photo, i would like to love a cartrige. There is something really satisfying in having a machine run your own code only, without much levels of abstraction and hidden functionality between you and the machine.

I'm still learning how to do the gameboy, but i'm fluent in Z80 from my earlier projects so it's a good base to build on. There are some things I expect to get out of GameBoy development:

-An introduction to hardware development
-An introduction to dissassembly
-A personal standalone binary cartrige
-A better understanding of video memory workings
-Contribute to the community/scene

#57 2014-02-09 13:32:39

NicklausW

Hi.

Last edited by NicklausW (2015-08-01 21:03:58)

#58 2014-07-09 20:35:10

pizzacat

Hey! Long time lurker, first time post writing thing.
Interested in hacking the hardware and writing a GB emulator in Objective-C. Well, I guess I'll need to write it in Swift now right?

#59 2014-07-12 01:06:02

MrElephant

NicklausW I know you from the ds game maker forum.  For some reason they never let me post on there...  I tried talking about the wii development kit that never came out...

Working in Gameboy BASIC.

#60 2014-07-17 11:29:55

G.H.O.O.N.

Hi all!
I've been looking into doing a few Gameboy related projects and this place seemed to be a good place to find help. I'm planning on making a small game but I've really wanted to play with FPGAs for a while now and then I saw this http://hackaday.com/2014/06/18/the-sega … e-dev-kit/ and wondered if the same thing could be done for the Gameboy.

#61 2014-08-13 08:46:27

a cat

hello i program in c and i am currently using the gbdk to make a programming language that will run and be interpreted on the gameboy
i am created a tic tac toe game and a simple paint program and so far thats about it
my dream gameboy program would be (if i work out how gb graphics work)
to make a 2d zelda style game

a cat in need of knowledge!!

#62 2014-10-29 10:37:59

RoboTwo

Oi lads.
My name's Willy or more commonly known online as Robotwo, I live in Sweden and work as a game programmer for a smaller studio.
I have a huge interest in 8-bit platforms and their restrictions, be it anything from the ZX Speccy and CPC 464 or the NES and Master System.
Since a few years back I've studied z80 ASM and had a few projects going for both the Sega Master System and Nintendo GameBoy, nothing really finished though, mostly just extensive tests smile

Just wanted to sign up here and hang out with some people of similar interest, and maybe even be of help once in a while if possible.

Shake well before use

#63 2014-10-29 14:16:50

Crona
Website

Oh hi I didn't see that this was a thing. My name is Isaac, but I go by Crona on the internet. I only started getting in to code seriously this year, but It comes very naturally to me. I love the Gameboy because its not just about the best graphics and there is more than just FPSs on it unlike all the new consoles. My first consoles where the N64 and the Gameboy which I got when I was like 5, and it always amazed me how they were able to fit an experience into a little piece of plastic. Beside video games I love anime, my favorites being Soul Eater, and Noragami.

#64 2014-11-23 22:16:41

RainbowReich

Hello, my name is Conrad. I'm from Tennessee and I'm a returning homebrewer. Previously I've worked on software for the NDS, GBA, and ,of course, the original Gameboy. I've never released anything particularly note-worthy, but I have become quite comfortable with writing low-level code on physical hardware. My previous programming experience includes VB6, C/C++, general web development (i.e. HTML, CSS, Javascript, HAML, Sinatra, etc etc etc.) and Ruby.

#65 2014-12-04 00:41:04

MrElephant

Hey Welcome back RainbowReich.  I hope it come back to you quicky (meaning programming for gameboy)

Working in Gameboy BASIC.

#66 2015-01-21 17:06:26

Ben

Hello everyone,
My name is Benjamin, I'm an electronic engineer student, living in France.
Four months ago, tidying up my room, i found my old GameBoy which gave me the idea to develop an audio player for it.
Since then, I've been having fun learning and trying to make a decent GB ROM in ASM. Currently the result isn't good but it's something wink

[Ben]
-----------------------------------------------------

#67 2015-02-03 08:01:28

wolfboyft

I'm Henry (surname initials FT, a boy, and one who likes wolves. See? wolfboyft!), from London.

I'm known on the internet as wolfboyft, and only have 4 ways of saying my username that I can accept: WOLFBOYFT, (only when yer angry) wolf, F.T., and wolfboyft. Ignore the usage of capital letters at the starts of sentences etc. (BTW, one good way of telling if a community is good or not, is to see if they bother to stop the capital letters in my username/see if they take the piss outta it or not!)
Just to tell you all.

Anyway! About why I joined this forum.

I recently thought about programming for the gameboy...

And then decided to make my own game and sell it in real cartridges/LSDJ-style logins-for-downloads.

So I've come here to ask lots of questions and get support in my game-creation!

Hope to see you lot around later!

Bye.

#68 2015-02-26 16:30:33

Xephyr

Hi everyone!

I'm a big fan of the Game Boy, and after reading a lot of pandocs and all, as I already had some bases on C and assembly, I decided to discover Game Boy programming.
Anyway, I hope I'll find help and critics for my future work here ^^

#69 2015-03-05 04:41:03

Glad
Website

Hi people ! I'm Vincent. I'm currently studying art in France and I've got a HND in electronic.
Last week, I was thinking of a new project with a... game boy ! I've never program on it before but I have few knowledge of C so I've tried some stuff, searched for tools and finally... I end up here !
Voila ! I hope that you all will inspire me !

(sorry if for the bad english!)

Last edited by Glad (2015-03-05 04:49:44)

Another boring artist.

Current software project --> Walking under the rain (GB)
Current hardware project --> GlitchBoy

#70 2015-03-09 12:19:09

Jesse

Hello, my name is Jesse. I came by this forum while searching for solutions. I wanted to program for a gameboy because I always wanted to program for such a classic handheld!

#71 2015-08-14 12:25:14

(Casette)
Website

Hi everybody! smile

My name is Árni Geir (Arni, A with a comma on top)
and I'm an Electronic Engineer. I studied in Reykjavík, Iceland. I live in Seyđisfjörđur (Seydisfjordur).
I make music using my beloved GameBoys and all kinds of instruments. Mainly LSDJ

I teach guitar in the music school in Seydisfjordur, best job ever! smile
Not much to do for an Electronic Engineer in a population of 610 people tongue

I don't drink and I don't smoke. Been sober two years now. But I'm a proud atheist so I don't
go to those crazy AA meetings hahahahah big_smile That is a cult in denial, that's for sure! tongue

I would love to know something about programming the GameBoy. My systers son has this
great Idea for a game and I would like to try programming it for him (kind of like pokémon).
Don't know where to start.
It's been a while since I was programming in C/C++ and I was usually stoned so it didn't
really stick, if you know what I mean... smile

I read about this forum when i bought the ALTANE gadget and I am having trouble with my
cartridge so here I am smile

Cheers
Arni Geir (Casette)

oh yeah and here are my tunes, if you're interested: https://soundcloud.com/rni-geir-l-russon

#72 2015-08-14 17:04:46

l0k1

Didn't even know this thread was a thing. I love it.
Hi! I'm Justin.
I'm a hobbyist programmer with a passionate love for Gameboy. One of the items on my bucket list is to write a game for Gameboy, so thats what I'm doing.
I've done a little bit of C, a moderate amount of Lua and Python, and quite a bit of VBA for work. Picked up Gameboy asm and I plan on only writing in that for Gameboy programming.
Nice to meet you all!

#73 2015-09-20 08:08:08

Termingamer2-JD
Website

You might know me from other sites like board2, for example.

I'm Termingamer. The machine that comes back to boards.

Basically I registered because I want to code an NES/GB/SGB/GBC emulator in C++, and I'll probably find the GB documentation helpful here. Also, this is my way of learning C++ more by coding something I'll be updating a lot. Lol, I don't know any of it, but I'm going to build this program.

Last edited by Termingamer2-JD (2015-09-20 08:08:44)

#74 2016-01-19 15:07:19

caleb1997

Hello! My name is Caleb. I have zero experience with Gameboys, but I do have some experience with TI calculator programming.

Dream GB game: Portal.

#75 2016-03-22 18:16:18

d.bop

Hello!

Long story short:
Was developing a game for Wii U strictly based on Gameboy Color specs. Made a graphics engine that mimics the CGB's PPU. Then thought, "what the heck, I'll just learn the real thing."

So now I'm here. Learning RGBDS to make a game with the intention of porting it to Wii U or whatever this NX thing is. And I *MIGHT* make a new and improved GBDK to help me port some code over. I'll make sure you all know if that happens.

Nice to meet you! Thanks for having me smile

Board footer