Gameboy Development Forum

Discussion about software development for the old-school Gameboys, ranging from the "Gray brick" to Gameboy Color
(Launched in 2008)

You are not logged in.

Ads

#76 2016-09-28 14:32:34

roach96

Re: Welcome thread

Hey!

Currently learning C (no programming background) with the goal of making a working game cartridge for a multimedia project I've been itching to do for a very long time.

Thanks to Jay Van Hutten (@djedditt) for responding to my YouTube message regarding his Flappy Bird cart for GBA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNm9kNV9rnw), which led me to
finding Ryan Carson (rychan) and his useful GBDK tutorials.

I'm halfway through "Up and Running with C" by Dan Gookin on Lynda.com, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

roach96

Last edited by roach96 (2016-09-28 15:22:08)

#77 2017-01-17 07:48:27

ifilot

Hi everyone,

I found this awesome forum and would like to introduce myself.

For some time I wanted to make my own working game cartridge. I am comfortable with Assembly and C programming and also know a bit of electronics. As a first step int he process, I am now working on making my own card reader. A very crude prototype on a bread board is working and the next step is to design a PCB which has both read and write functionality. For the cartridge, I plan on making a simple PCB with a memory chip and 32 connectors.

I am happy to share my results when I've made some further progress. Let me know your thoughts. :-)

Best,
I.

#78 2017-03-20 16:07:17

Alexander the bat

just call me Alex anyway here I go!

I've just recently wanted to try my hand on C Programming after countless no go on BASIC To create Sega Genesis games so I've thought I try C programming to make Gameboy and Gameboy Color games, I'm new to become a C Programmer myself and would love to get into C to make games from it to.

I also own and Run a Developer name of Scythe & Genesis Games - and there's a twitter of that too which will contain news and other tweets from time time.

So I'm basically new to C programming since I really wanted to program something for once on this language!

#79 2017-04-19 20:27:40

ISSOtm
Website

I'm ISSOtm, if you want a name you can call me Panda.

I have some good experience with GB disassembling and reversing thanks to the awesome Pokémon glitch community.
I develop my own game in ASM as well as some cool ACE techniques, and a friend (Mantidactyle) gave me pointers to this site, so...
Let's get rollin' ! I hope we will have good times on this forums >smile

The French Lord Of Laziness.
Legend of Zelda and Undertale fan, I also tend to break Pokémon R/B/Y a little too much.

Twitter | Me on GCL | Discord : ISSOtm#9015 | Skype : isso.tm (I don't login anymore)

#80 2017-04-23 01:29:40

Plasma

Hi! I'm Plasma, I've been playing and collecting Nintendo and Sega systems for longer than I can remember!

Besides playing the games, I also like to make and modify sprites and other game graphics. I've played around with game hacking a little, graphics hacks here and there, some Game Genie, Game Shark, and Action Replay codes occasionally, stuff like that.

I've experimented a bit in C programming, I quite enjoy it! I've mostly made a few simple image viewer programs for the SNES and Game Boy so far, I hope to expand on that as I keep experimenting.

I would have a tough time deciding exactly what my dream Game Boy game would be, although I would say one that makes great use of the Super Game Boy's enhanced features like having added SPC music and sound as well as enhanced graphics when played on a Super Game Boy would be a good one to dream about!

#81 2017-05-02 08:06:03

tmk
Website

Hello! I'm into retro console dev with special love for Nintendo handhelds, mostly GBC. I don't mind other 8bit platforms, especially those unknown to me like PC-8801, etc. When it comes to my experience I prefer assembler but recently started to write in C which is more convenient for custom tools. I have some plans already but won't make any announcements now... smile

#82 2017-10-20 06:35:56

tobiasvl

Bump! My name is Tobias, I've always loved the DMG and have always wanted to develop for it, so I thought I'd try dabbling with it. My ASM and C experience is limited to a few courses in college, which was a few years ago, but I've always wanted to sharpen my teeth on more low-level programming (my day job is a Python "devop").

Discord: tobiasvl#6844 | GitHub: tobiasvl

#83 2017-11-19 15:29:35

LookINmyFishes

Hi
I'm Sean
And I'm here for learn something about the GB cartridges.
I haven't huge experience in development, i'm a beginner in the ROM hacking world and translations and i've only edited a few games or fixed some bugs.
I'm also a beginner in the pixel and digital graphics.
My passion for hacks and homebrew softwares forced me to use emulators, but I love original hardware and play on it is better (clones too) and for this reason i'm here.
I want expand my collection with a phisical copy of my favourites hacks and homebrew games.

My dream: produce cartridge (maybe with working saves) for me and for people that have the same passion.

ps: I'm a zelda and mario fan, i also love pokemon, final fantasy megaman and old school shooters

Last edited by LookINmyFishes (2017-11-19 15:35:04)

#84 2020-06-06 04:26:13

Chantal

Hi,

i want to learn making my own Gameboygames. I have so many ideas for new games and for ports. I want to programm Mr Nutz 2, Alfred Chicken 2, Bubsy 3 and more. I want to have a port of Doom for my Gameboy.
Greets to all ya.

#85 2020-06-26 11:16:37

psdominator

Hello to all of you,

I'm a C and JavaScript programmer (learning) who makes random Gameboy/Color demos using GBDK.

I hope to make GB/GBC games that push the limit of the system.

#86 2020-08-26 15:56:40

Shkire

Hi! My name is Daniel.

I'm a C# and Unity programmer and I'm starting with GBDK as a hobby. I'm so new with C, and that's why I'm starting slowly but I hope I will get some C basic knowledge soon to start developing my own GB games ^^

#87 2020-12-27 04:25:58

rune-dev-matt

Hello everyone,

my name is Matt and I'm a CAD Administrator by day and a hobby GBDK Developer by night. smile
I'm also new to C and ASM but I think I can figure the most principles with some brain juice and your help out.
My goal for 2021 is at least one complete the development on one GB Game.
I also own a GBP, a GB Camera and some spare cartriges. IF someone needs to test his game on real hardware just hit me up.

Have a nice day and a better 2021 smile

#88 2021-01-30 11:02:50

break

Hello there,
Just joined up.
Interested in learning more about the old gameboy and it's games.
Big into classic Pokemon games and trading cards.
Glad I was able to find this community !

#89 2021-03-06 13:35:17

radiosity

Hello from Spain. I've been programming for Gameboy relatively recently but I've come a long way these days. I hope I can contribute a lot. Regards

#90 2021-11-15 17:43:35

Smexy

Hey there,

Been delving into Gameboy development recently since I decided to make a Game I dreamed about and finally commit some time and resources to it.
From a Game design and Graphical Perspective I can do it but for 1.program and 2.sound I want to get to know some smart people to help bring out something impressive from this tiny machine.

Board footer